3 weeks post surgery and still feel nausous all the time

keylady42
on 3/11/14 2:58 am

Help!  I do not feel well.  I am three weeks post surgery after having the gastric sleeve.  I cannot get over the nausous feeling all the time.  My stomach churns constantly and I really do not care if I eat anything or not.  I try to drink water, but I have yet to make it to the goal of 48 oz a day.  I just do not feel well at all.  Even the vitamins do not go down well.  I have had moment when I regret what I did, even though at my 2 week check-up I had lost 45 pounds.  I just want to feel better.  Is this normal?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/14 4:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had a hard time with the water at that point, too; at 3 weeks, your stomach is still fairly swollen from surgery. Have you tried sugar-free popsicles? They count as 3-4 oz of water. You can also experiment with different temperatures, some people tolerate warm liquids like tea or low-sodium broth better than cold water. Do the best you can, even if you can't hit 48oz every day.

I tend to get a bit queasy when my stomach is totally empty (like first thing in the morning), which is hard because I have zero feelings of hunger, and it's super frustrating! Are you able to force down any protein drinks, either the milk-based ones or one of the clear/kool-aid type ones (syntrax or isopure)? At 3 weeks, does your surgeon's eating plan allow you any purees, like blended soups? If you can get something with calories in your stomach, that might help with the nausea as well.

If you're having trouble, definitely call your surgeon's office. There are many people on here who've been prescribed anti-nausea medication during their recovery period, so maybe that is an option.

It's totally normal to be frustrated and upset-- we had our surgery to get healthier, not to feel queasy and sick and gross! It does get better, but healing does take a while and it can definitely suck in the interim. Hang in there!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 8:19 am

My doctor instructions do not have me taking vitamins until 2 months after surgery.  I would ask your doc for nausea meds and maybe hold off in the vitamins.

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 9:24 am - Canada

I just stopped taking my nausea meds regularly about a week ago.  You don't have to suffer.  Call your doctor! Once the nausea is under control every thing gets easier.  Skip your vitamins for awhile.  You aren't going to deplete that quickly and they can cause nausea (ask any pregnant lady).  For now focus on liquids and protein.  11 weeks in i still can't drink plain water.  I occasionally use it to swallow a pill and it hits my stomach like a ton of bricks.  Try teas, broth, watered down juices, Gatorade, G2 or Powerade. Keep trying different things until you find what sits well for you.  You could even try some jello...it counts as a clear liquid.

Good luck!

donnamy3sons
on 3/11/14 6:02 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

I had nausea for about 6 weeks, I also called and got some medicine for nausea, it helped a lot. hang in there it will get better:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views