VSG Dumping on Tylenol.

Kasey J.
on 4/28/14 2:09 pm
VSG on 04/15/14

It had my surgery 4/15 so I'm about 2 weeks post op. I felt I now longer needed the Hycet (hydrocodone/acetaminophen liquid mixture) my doctor prescribed for me so he said I could buy an over the counter liquid Tylenol. With my pharmacists advice, I bought children's Tylenol, as she said that there had been an adult liquid version but it seems to have been discontinued as it hasn't been on the shelves in my area for quite sometime. I would only need to take 3 teaspoons of the children's Tylenol to equal an adult sized dose. Anyhow, a few nights ago, I had a really bad hour long episode on the toilet that included freezing chills, sweaty heat flashes, severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea. I told my Dr about this at my follow up today and he said it sounded like dumping and asked if I had consumed any sugar, and I couldn't think of any so I told him no. Today,  after not having taken any in a few days, I took a dose of the children's Tylenol for my aches and laid  down. Woke up an hour later with the same symptoms plus vomiting too that lasted for nearly 2 hours. I've put 2 and 2 together and the only sweet thing I've ingested is that children's Tylenol. It's sickeningly sweet. Could this be what's making me so sick? Are these the symptoms of dumping? I never did much research on it because I had the VSG and was under the impression that dumping is rare for vsg'ers. Any info/suggestions you have, I'd be happy to hear!

mickeymantle
on 4/28/14 3:27 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

dumping is rare with the vsg but it does happen , also in some people that have not had surgery

could also be the flu

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Imakitekat
on 4/28/14 9:57 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

I have had dumping and it's not pleasant and it does sound like that's what it could be, although I don't know how much sugar is in children's Tylenol. No offense intended to the other poster, but I don't think dumping is rare, depending on your definition of rare that is. I don't think that we as vsg ers dump as much as RNY surgery do but yes, it happens and I have read several people on this site who have had the dumping affect, so I myself don't think it's rare. Hope you feel better soon. Best wishes!

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/14 1:10 am

I do not know if it is "dumping" but I have severe gastric reactions to sugar.  I usually have to run to the bathroom and it is not pretty.  I am starting to keep a journal of everything I eat and my reaction to it.  So far sugar, bread, alcohol are major triggers.  Not sure how I feel about this problem, not sure if it will be long term or not as I am only 8 weeks out.

jujubslim
on 4/30/14 3:03 am, edited 4/30/14 3:03 am
VSG on 03/17/14

This same exact thing happened to me the other night, it was horrible. For me I had some peanut butter on toast (i didn't eat a lot or too fast, I maybe had 1/4 of it), developed a headache shortly after, I took a tylenol 3 to put me to sleep figuring I'd be ok by the morning. About an hour later I had severe abdominal pain, vomitting, chills and hot flashes. It was horrible, worse than I felt immediately post op. I chalked it up to the peanut butter even though there was only 2 sugars in it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views