Coming out of the closet, so to speak

EmmyK
on 4/30/14 9:21 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

So, I got my sleeve yesterday.  With the exception of my husband and a few close friends, I told everyone I was having a hernia repair related to my previous surgery.  Considering that they did a hiatal hernia repair, this isn't entirely false.

Mostly, I didn't want to hear anyone's opinions on it.  The "Oh, my sister's boyfriend's cousin's mother in law had that done, and *insert terrible outcome here*"  Or the earnest, "Well, have you TRIED diet and exercise?"  Also, my husband turned it all around without surgery.  He started logging every bite and discovered that he loves long distance running.  (He also discovered that he had low testosterone, and now he gets injections.  Fixing hormones was a huge part of the synergy.)  He lost it and has kept it off, but he also runs an average of 8 miles a day.  Every doctor I've talked to says he is the exception....the 5% that can do it.  I know that his side would be like, "Well, look at HIM..."

My question is, to those of you who didn't tell everyone before surgery, when did you put it out there?  I mean, when I look very different in six months, it will be obvious that it wasn't Weigh****chers.  I don't know if it is the drugs here in the hospital doing their trick, but I feel like I could "announce" now.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Nmmsg
on 4/30/14 9:44 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

I generally only told my close family and friends. The others did not need to know. At this point, I don't care who knows.  The results tell it all.  In the end you will have still lost weight by watching everything that goes in your mouth and leading a healthier life.  It is up to you what you tell people.   We are not obligated to share our personal life with the world.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

EmmyK
on 5/1/14 9:04 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you.  You also have the best weight ticker ever.  Rainbows and sharks!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Nmmsg
on 5/1/14 8:45 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

The rainbow is for my daughter, who was a cool 40 years old yesterday.  The shark is for me- my maiden name was Sharkey.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Aquafinaflo
on 4/30/14 10:44 pm
VSG on 02/18/14

I agree with her, everyone doesn't need to know your buisness. Who are they to judge. Noone is perfect. If you tell them, then you tell them. If you decide not to then the hell with what they think. this journey is for YOU and you only!. Congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life.

Hw: 260 lbs / start weight: 248 lbs / SW:238 lbs / 1wk postop:228 lbs  

current weight:  219 lbs   

EmmyK
on 5/1/14 9:05 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks.  Now that the surgery is behind me, I'm more comfortable with it overall.

Atlanta_Forever
on 4/30/14 10:47 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

Emmy,

congratulations on your new sleeve! I also told my immediate family and my three closest girlfriends. Since I have a lot to drop, no one has noticed the 30 pounds i've lost...just yet. In the future, as my weight loss becomes more obvious, I will tell those people that I feel will be supportive about my surgery. The others, I'll handle on a case by case basis.

To me, this is private and while I don't feel the need to keep my surgery a complete secret, I also don't feel like it's my "job" to wrestle with those that won't understand my choice.

best of luck to you!

Audrey

EmmyK
on 5/1/14 9:06 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Audrey,

Thank you!  I am kinda the same way.  I don't HAVE to tell people, and I will expect that people respect my choices.

Seriously, I'm gonna get a shark ticker.  I didn't notice them before!

kellma699
on 4/30/14 11:28 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

Like you, I only told close friends and my mother. I am three months post op and have told a few more people, but mostly I just keep it to myself. It's no one's business and if I feel like sharing with someone spur of the moment, then I will. I did tell a woman that I've been friendly with at the gym for 8 years and she was very ugly to me about it.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

EmmyK
on 5/1/14 12:31 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm so sorry that she was awful to you.  :(

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views