VERY FIRST POST-NERVOUS-EXCITED-CLOSE

Stephen P.
on 5/15/14 12:01 pm - MA
VSG on 05/27/14

Hi Everyone,

I have been apprehensive to post because I am so embarrassed about my size (500+ lbs). I actually have a surgery date coming up May 27th! I cannot believe it is this close. I started the pre-op diet 2 days ago. It is absolutely ridiculous that food has this much control over my emotions but in the last 48 hours I have run the whole cycle of emotions!! Ive been grumpy, happy, sad, angry, depressed, elated, etc...   Am I totally whacked or is there something about starting this pre-op diet that can do this to you emotionally? A couple of other questions I have are, 1, is there anyone out there even close to my size that has had the VSG and has it been successful as a stand alone surgery or do I have a Roux En Y to look forward to a year or so from now?

Also, I am sooo afraid he is going to put me under, realize I am too fat to do the surgery on and close me right back up.....   Does that happen a lot or am I just really overthinking things??? 

Well, thanks in advance for any responses. I have been on the site for a while and read a lot of inspirational stories....  I hope I can be one of them, I just wish I could push the clock ahead 2 weeks and see if this really gets done! 

Stephen

feels_so_good
on 5/15/14 12:26 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Glad your posting and using this OH site - lots of great information. I've found it a very safe and welcoming environment. Of course it's up to you what surgery you choose. I've got 2 acquaintances, one 500, one started at 700 before surgery (VS) (he got down to almost 600 before the surgery). At my support group last night I met a man who had VS at 560 lbs. Have you seen the TV show MY 600 Pound Life? Of course it's only TV, so take it for what it's worth. One of the questions I asked my surgeon was what would cause him to change from a lap to open surgery and what would cause him to not perform the surgery. He said it goes to open only if there is a complication. There were a couple patients who were to compact (my word not his) i.e. poor spacing of organs and to much fat to see properly for a safe surgery. In that case, he put them back on a liquid diet and tried again. It's easier to say that do, but worries accomplishes very little. Do your best on the liquid/pre-op diet and trust your surgeon. I hear you about the roller-coaster of emotions. They are there for a reason. If you haven't yet, many of us use therapy to help with the emotional side of this journey, I know I've gotten a lot of self growth and awareness from seeing my counselor. 

Best of luck, always feel free to share your experiences and ask questions.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/15/14 12:30 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, What you're feeling is totally normal & feel free to post as many times as you'd like, that's what we're here for, to learn from each other & help each other out. The people on this site has been very nice & helpful. You might want to post on the over 50 bmi forum for more answers, or try the little search magnifying glass & see past posts for your question. I have seen prior posts of people who were over 400lbs & lost the weight with vsg alone, but I guess it's all in how you work your new tool. I'm only a few weeks post op but I've lost 36lbs so far, some pre and some post op. Good luck on your weight loss journey! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Stephen P.
on 5/15/14 12:40 pm - MA
VSG on 05/27/14

Wow, that is great. Yes, I heard of the show My 600lb life, Ironically, I got an Email from the producers of that show!!! (They got my name because I contacted that surgeons office (Dr. Nowazarden sp?) while I was trying to find someone who would do the surgery on someone that was 500+ lbs.......  I filled out the form and at 524.9 I was not only not quite heavy enough, but I didn't have the "sellable" story they were looking for. They seemed to want people with family drama, immobile, etc...   Fingers crossed, SO FAR, I have been lucky in that I am still employed and somewhat mobile (for my size) .....  Anyhow, I am very lucky to have found a surgeon willing to help me out and hopefully help put me on the path to living again! Thank you both very much for your replies. It does help to know there are people that really understand!

Stephen

themexcellentone
on 5/15/14 12:47 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

My husband had VSG in August of 2013, and started at a little over 500 pounds.  He has lost over 170 pounds so far.  There are a couple of vets here who started out over 500 and have lost tremendous amounts of weight and have kept it off--Jimbo is one that comes to mind.  So VSG as a standalone can be very, very successful so long as one is committed to the program AFTER the fact.  Surgery alone does not make you lose the weight; compliance and commitment are two of the most important things in getting it off and keeping it off.

May 27 will be here before you know it, trust me!  And then May 27, 2015 will be here before you know it and you too will be a success story.

The pre-op diet is tough, but hang in there...it is temporary.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Stephen P.
on 5/15/14 12:58 pm - MA
VSG on 05/27/14

Thank you so much for the reply!!!   Yes, I realize (as much as one can realize through reading and theory) that the surgery is most definitely only a piece of the puzzle.... and like any puzzle, without ALL the pieces, it will never be complete. Hearing that VSG can alone be so helpful is encouraging! It sounds like your husband is doing fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!   Congrats!!!   Yes, This pre-op diet is not a lot of fun, but just about 3 days down !!!   :)

themexcellentone
on 5/15/14 1:00 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

VSG definitely can be helpful.  My diabetes was resolved within 6 weeks of my surgery.  I came off my blood pressure medication 4 months post-op.  My knees no longer grind when I walk, and I can climb stairs with no issues.  Sleep apnea?  GONE. 

Best money I ever spent on myself.  You will find the same to be true too. 

Hang in there with the pre-op diet...you will find it is more a test of your mettle than anything else! :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Stephen P.
on 5/15/14 1:05 pm - MA
VSG on 05/27/14

Congrats on the weight loss and the overall health !!!!!!!   I cant wait to write a similar post !!!   My knees hurt lik ehell just from getting up and walking now !!!    I cant wait to walk just because I want to and not as a last resort only if I HAVE to !!   Keep up the good work!!

Stephen

Mary Gee
on 5/15/14 1:52 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Steve - Congratulations on your first post.  Hope you will feel free to jump in any time.

I just had my surgery at UMass yesterday.  It took me almost eight months from orientation meeting to surgery date.  The last few weeks were the hardest - because everything crosses your mind.  Not just the surgery itself, but also you realize all the changes you are about to make in your daily life.

I had the sleeve and everything went smoothly (BMI 59).  I've got lots of weight to lose but I've done lots of reading and have learned so much.  It's going to be a new way of life - well worth the effort we have to put into it.

Good luck on the 27th!!               

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Stephen P.
on 5/15/14 2:01 pm - MA
VSG on 05/27/14

Congrats on your surgery!  I assume you are typing from your hospital bed!  Thanks for the kind words. I am glad your surgery went smoothly! Yes, This last few weeks has been/is going to be a roller coaster ride!  :)

Stephen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 375 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views