When do you take your vitamins?

EmmyK
on 6/2/14 7:10 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

My doctor advised me that I could take my meds and vitamins, but "don't make it a pill meal."

I take four small (less than tic tac sized) pills at night.  One in the morning.

Vitamins are bigger.  My doctor only requires B12 and a MVI, but I feel like I need some fiber, and some calcium.  Fiber and calcium (and I'd like to take some fish oil, too...) are big.  I haven't really been taking them because I'm worried about their size...

I'm overthinking this. 

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Bufflehead
on 6/2/14 7:16 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My general plan: I take liquid calcium, plus small gel tabs of K2 and D when I first get up, with my coffee shake. Then 2-3 hours later, with breakfast, I take liquid iron and a chewable multivitamin.

With dinner, another chewable multivitamin and a chewable probiotic.

Fiber comes from real food and occasionally from sugar free fiber powder I blend in with my protein shakes. Fish oil comes from . . . oily fish. There isn't a lot of science out there showing that taking fish oil in supplemental form is beneficial to your health, so I am not going to waste my calories and money on giant pills that are hard to swallow and give me unpleasant, fishy burps!

I can't handle big pills anymore, so I find alternatives.

EmmyK
on 6/2/14 7:23 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm a month out, so other than beans, fiber is hard to come by.  Not a lot of high fiber veggies on the menu.

Thanks for the input!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Bufflehead
on 6/2/14 8:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

If you can have yogurt, check out Chobani Simply 100 Greek yogurt - all natural and 5 grams of fiber per carton! For most of us sleevers that's half of our daily fiber RDA right there (since we take in so few calories, most of us only need about 10-11 grams per day per dietary guidelines of 14 grams per 1000 calories).

EmmyK
on 6/2/14 1:33 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Great! I will check it out. I had a colon resection last October (diverticulitis), and I want to be kind to all of my GI tract. ;)

Shagdoll
on 6/2/14 7:51 am

I still prefer chewables if I can help it, especially since it's more convenient to just pop one in my mouth.  My Celebrate iron chewable doesnt give me an upset stomach so sometimes I just take it on the way to work.  After breakfast, I take a chewable calcium, after lunch I take my chewable mutli and then after my afternoon snack it's another calcium or my B12. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

robinreinhardt
on 6/2/14 9:12 am

Hi Ragdoll,

where do you get all of your chewable vitamins, iron and calcium?

Thank you, Robin

Shagdoll
on 6/2/14 9:39 am

I get my very inexpensive multi's from Trader Joe's.  At $7.99 for a 3 month supply, I cannot go wrong.  It's a citrus flavor that tastes pretty decent for a mutli.  It's for adults too with minerals. 

I do spend more on my iron.  I am anemic so not everyone needs to take it.  I prefer the Celebrate grape chewable which is a bariatric brand.  Tastes like a grape pez and I actually look forward taking it.  Yup, I'm weird.

My B12 sublingual is just any brand I can get my hands on at any drug store on sale.  Nature's Blend, Nature's Bounty, Sundown, etc...

Not everyone agrees with taking the gummi calciums but I prefer the vitafusion Calciumin the creamy flavors. 

There are actually many reasons I prefer chewables.  I can pop them in at any time, I tend to not get an upset stomach, and I dont need water to wa**** down.  Yay, win-win!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

EmmyK
on 6/2/14 2:51 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks for the recommendations!

robinreinhardt
on 6/2/14 9:12 am

sorry Shagdoll

Robin

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views