Coffee!

mollz007
on 7/13/14 11:08 am
VSG on 02/20/14

So before surgery I wasn't a huge coffee drinker. I had a keurig that I got for my wedding, and I would have a cup in the morning and that was it, but if I didn't have it I was fine, it was more like I wanted something hot to drink. For the first  months post op, I wasn't allowed to have any coffee, and then I was allowed decaf for awhile, but ever since I got the okay for regular coffee I have been obsessed with it... especially lately. I have been craving iced coffee drinks soo much. I was spending too much at Starbucks, so I bought a regular coffee pot (rather than the keurig) and started making my own iced coffee (I brew it at night, and then pour it over ice in a pitcher and stick it in the fridge.) My pot makes 12 cups and between me and hubby we drink it all! And even after that I still find myself craving it in the middle of the day... but more for the taste than the caffiene. Before I drank coffee just for the caffeine, I didnt really like the taste that much. It's interesting. My hubby thinks it's because I don't drink soda anymore. Who knows... I juist don't want to overdo it with the coffee. It's just weird. Do you crave anything now that you were kind of "meh" about pre op?

check out my blog!

Kelly Jean
on 7/13/14 11:14 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Before surgery I drank 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day..between my husband and I my kerig was going almost 24/ 7 ... it's so weird now I don't drink it at all ... I tried doing the protien coffee that lasted about 5 days and iced coffee also its so weird how tastes change!!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

mollz007
on 7/13/14 11:24 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Lol I'm the exact opposite... I love the coffee protein drinks! Syntrax makes a cappuccino flavor, I like click mocha, and I have discovered a brand from bariatricpantry called healthwise (not sure if that brand is exclusive to that site or not) that makes an amarette cappuccino that is to die for! I don't follow the directions, I mix then all with milk in the blender. But ya, it's so weird how that happened. I just don't want to overdo it with the coffee!

check out my blog!

Scarson
on 7/13/14 7:47 pm - Canada

It may be that you have replaced your eating habit with a coffee habit. There are studies out there that suggest a moderate amount of coffee a day (no sugar) is good for people at risk of diabetes militis.

( He said as he sipped his nice hot coffee.)

Atlanta_Forever
on 7/13/14 9:32 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

Mollz,

I too LOVE my hot and iced coffee. Usually I have hot coffee in the morning and treat myself to iced coffee after (or right before) my workouts. I have read ALOT or studies, articles, etc on coffee drinking and am comfortable that I'm not harming myself by drinking it.

I did abstain post surgery per dr. orders, but jumped back into it once I was given the ok.

Happy java!

Audrey

justpete
on 7/13/14 9:36 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

for iced coffee, try cold brewing it.  taste is much smoother and 2/3 of the acid.  plus it keeps in the fridge for a week or 2.  just get a glass jar (mason jar works), add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of coffee grinds, then fill up with water.  let sit in fridge for 24 hours and filter it.  store it in glass jar again.  use this concentrate with ice, milk, cream, whatever you like when making your ice coffee.  works for iced frappe too. cost is about 15cents.  stick to the dark roast coffees and course grind may work better depending on your filtering setup (I ust use coffee filter in coffee machine, without turning it on or passing through machine.  just fill up the basket and let drip into pot)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

kentj
on 7/14/14 12:03 pm

Justpete, what is your ratio of coffee to water?  This sounds yummy, and I love the idea of less acid.  I am totally addicted to coffee since surgery.  Thank you for this idea.

trinoc
on 7/13/14 9:37 pm, edited 7/13/14 9:38 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I drink as many as 5 cups a day!  I don't like iced coffee but I love it hot.  I have found, lately, that it's giving me a more acidic stomach (when I drink it I get the rumbleys) so I'm trying to back off.  I've also been having quite a bit of breast pain that I know is directly linked to the caffeine in my own body.  It's just how I react to that much caffeine.  So, I've switched to decaf or half-caf.  But yeah - if I'm getting my water in, then I have no compunction drinking coffee.

In the morning, instead of milk, I add 1 tsp coconut oil to my first cup.  This has been working like a champ at keeping me a little more "regular"...if you know what I mean.    

(I'm also working to change my way of drinking it.  Right now, I'm getting about 1/2 c milk per day from my coffee habit.  Not horrible but it's calories I'm drinking.  I'm trying to get to the point where I drink it either black or w/ just a little stevia.)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

skeller
on 7/14/14 1:55 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I was going to suggest that you move to decaf after that first cup. I have the same problem with regular coffee, although I do prefer it. Decaf works, too, though. I use a very little half and half in my coffee--I try and keep it to 1T/day, no matter how many cups I drink, which is usually no more than one.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

mollz007
on 7/14/14 5:32 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Good idea skeller, I think I may do that, because I mostly just want the flavor of coffee.

check out my blog!

Most Active