A thank-you, and some thoughts, early post-sleeve

J B
on 7/27/14 6:55 am

Hello All - 

I want to say thanks to this group, it's been a big comfort to come here in the two weeks I've been post-op for my gastric sleeve.  My emotions, physical changes, appetite, in fact EVERYTHING, have all been in a bit of chaos, but it's a happy kind of chaos because in that process, I'm lighter, moving more quickly, feeling healthier, and feeling resolve that I made such a good decision.

As I move into my stage 4 diet, trying my hand at actual chewing again, I see the adventure never ends!  Chewing my protein is a bigger adjustment than I expected and I think I've been a bit too much of a maverick.  I made some lean turkey chili and was really enjoying it until I got some pretty tight pressure in my esophagus when I tried to swallow too much too quickly.  It's as if my mouth was still eating with my old body's stomach. This is a tough thing for me to re-learn.  So, I got out the tiny, tiny spoon and that seemed to go better.

The theme that emerges in this process over and over again is that this whole process is like hitting a 'reset' button.  You're not in a new body, and you don't have a new brain, you're just putting yourself back to the factory settings.  So, it's all about readjustment, or remembering a way of doing things that you used to do a LONG time ago. I'm slowly getting the hang of it :-)

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

greensleeved
on 7/27/14 7:24 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

"Factory settings," LOL. Excellent.

It's a big learning curve for sure. I had my sleeve on the 10th and am on liquids till Friday then mushies for another week. Glad to hear you liked your chili. I'm afraid I'll never like food again. And afraid that I will!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 7/27/14 8:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like you're learning well at least :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mike B.
on 7/27/14 9:14 am
You know it would be great if they could flip a switch in the brain while they are in there making changes to the stomach, but I guess we can't have everything all at once. This is for sure a learning experience. I am 2 1/2 years out and I have to continue to remind myself more is not an option when it comes to eating; one bite too much and I am regretting it for awhile after. I'm one of those slow learners, so all I can say is CHEW, CHEW, CHEW when eating. Good luck in your journey and keep us all posted on your progress. I think we all like to read others experiences.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

jenorama
on 7/27/14 3:14 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I'm 9 mos out from my RNY and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of chewing enough and not eating too fast!  Pre-surgery I was a food inhaler and I'll still do it if I let myself get too hungry. I've learned to listen to my  body's signals and push the plate away when I feel like I'm approaching my fulness point and chilling for a few minutes to see if I'm truly full. Usually the answer is yes. 

It sounds like you're getting the hang of your new reality. Good for you!

Jen

Kelly Jean
on 7/27/14 10:43 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Best of luck JB you got this ...just go slow...  I totally love the the "factory settings" how true us that.. perfect analogy! !! :-)

♡ Kelly

Cece2014
on 7/28/14 12:48 am

Great post, and excellent insight.  The Reset Button - great positive mental picture!

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Allison L.
on 7/28/14 4:18 am - Berkeley, CA

I'm pretty much where you are, and I love the idea of a Reset button. Factory Settings, too! Great post!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views