Heart palpitations after eating???

Jules78
on 8/5/14 3:46 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Hi everyone, I'm currently 3 months out and have just started to experience heart palpitations and a racy pulse after eating.  At first I thought it was nothing and just kind of ignored it, but I just got done eating about a half cup of chef salad and I'm sitting here almost short of breath and coughing slightly with these palpitations.  My mouth is also a little watery and I'm feeling kind of light headed.  I did eat a little fast because I was really hungry so that left me a little fuller than what's comfortable.  Could that be the cause??  Has anyone else experienced this?

youtube channel- silkiilocks

mmsmom
on 8/5/14 5:00 am - Woburn, MA

could this be esophageal spasms?

Jules78
on 8/5/14 6:10 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Thank you for responding, it very well could be, because like I said I did eat a little faster than usual and because of that I realized I had eaten too much.

Jules78
on 8/5/14 6:12 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14
Thank you for responding, it very well could be, because like I said I did eat a little faster than usual and because of that I realized I had eaten too much.

datachick
on 8/5/14 5:08 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I get the same thing now and then and attribute it to just what you said...too much too fast.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Jules78
on 8/5/14 6:13 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Yes, I'm now convinced that's what it was.  I will definitely have to keep a closer eye on that.  I did not like how that felt!

Rosie B.
on 8/5/14 6:30 am

Yes, I did experience them around the same time that you did.  I went to the ER, I went to an electrophysiolgist on the advice of the ER because I had them but they were benign (they won't kill me).  The cardiologist ran all the tests and made me wear a heart monitor for one month.  The palps were also on there and that Doc told me the same.  There is no medication I can take and if I did, it would probably make them worse.  Just have to live with them.  They actually went away after a while; I have them occasionally when I have caffeine but if you really bear down with your stomach (like you were going to the bathroom), that gets rid of them.  I spoke with the cardiologist about them happening after eating and he said it  could happen when you eat too fast or too much.  I don't think they really know why but it seems to happen to us sleevers (a lot of them).  But mine have gotten a lot better for sure.  You should be checked though just in case by a cardiologist.  I actually felt better knowing that they were nothing serious, but that's my diagnosis. 

Jules78
on 8/5/14 6:42 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Thank you for your reply.  I used to have them a lot before surgery but I just attributed it to being so heavy.  I went to a cardiologist years ago and had all kinds of tests, blood work, 2 different stress tests done, but nothing was found.  I guess it just scarred me because I hadn't experienced them in a while.  I will definitely bring it up at my next appointment next month.

Rosie B.
on 8/5/14 7:03 am

Good.  Just make sure its nothing first so u can relax.  I had them before also but they were gone for a long time until I had this surgery.  When I did tell the docs they looked at me confused.  I am glad I went to my cardiologist.

hollykim
on 8/5/14 6:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

tha****ery feeling in your mouth is what we call "sliming". It can sometimes lead on to throwing up mouthfuls of slime and sometimes food that didn't agree with your sleeve or too much portion. 

Need to slow way down.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 387 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 420 views