Regain - hindsight is 20/20...

G5x5
on 9/15/14 10:50 am - VA

Please read or listen to "Fitness Confidential" by Vinnie Tortorich.  I'm begging you to do this.  Someone with your experience will pick up and identify with a lot of the story.  He is a fitness trainer with 30+ years of experience working in Hollywood.  He isn't selling anything, but does have some ideas about loosing weight which will sound very familiar to us bariactric types.

From there go to his website and check out his podcasts.  He's become a gateway, or clearing house, for a lot of information which will resonate with you.  That gateway will lead you to a vast number of subject matter experts and may change your whole outlook on our situation.  It just depends on how much of the story you've figured out already without the guidance offered there.

If what I think will happen happens, you'll gain the clarity to solve your obesity issues forever.  I swear by this as crazy as it seems.  I faced my demons, much like yours, this summer and made my choice.  Vinnie's thoughts, and guidance, on weight loss were part of that.

You can thank me later LOL

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/14 2:27 pm

Ordered the book. I'll let you know!

DeeNY52
on 9/15/14 11:29 am

Wow.  Thanks.  really, thank you.  Reading this I recognize myself at Stage 3 right now.  Off plan, a little bit here or there.  A big bag of M7Ms and prtending I'll just eat a few.

And dreading getting on the scale.  No gain yet but no loss for several weeks.

Why am I DOING this?  I know that sugar is a trigger for me.  I hope this is the kick in the pants I need to cut it out, lose the last 10 lbs and stop buying things I cannot control.

This is not easy- keeping it off and staying the course is the hard part. I admire your resolve and I thank you for your honesty.

Mom22Monsters
on 9/15/14 11:54 am - Lakewood, CO
VSG on 08/26/13

Thanks for this insightful post, put things into perspective for me and I see myself wavering between a 2 and 3. Definitely needed this today, its made me reflect on the things I've been sensing, but not necessarily admitting...I'm admitting it now and I'm going to keep this admission at the forethought of my eating.

kerry B.
on 9/15/14 12:03 pm
VSG on 11/04/13

Excellent post!  I am only 10 months out and happy with my weight but I am definitely in phase 1.  I try a little of this and a little of that.  I think it would be ok if it was once or twice a month but I find myself doing this once or twice a week.  (Funny when I read that, I "find myself doing this" like it is not my choice, argh.) I know I can probably keep up this way for another year and not have a problem.  But I also know that if I don't reel myself in now, I am headed for the express lane through phases 2-5 and beyond.  I know this because I have been here before pre-WLS.  The time is now.  Thank you for your wisdom!

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

SJb41976
on 9/15/14 12:10 pm
DS on 02/29/16

I am a band to sleeve revision and I only lost 70 pounds. I have gained most of that back. Hindsight is definitely 20/20. I started misusing food early out. Total denial, still losing. Just as you stated above. It snowballed into shame/guilt the whole thing. I've been in therapy the past year and a half. I highly recommend reading Intuitive Eating. 

Without going into all my mess I just recommend people really seriously get their stuff together. I was in major denial about my food issues. I know not everyone is, but we tell ourselves things we want to hear but surgery is not going to repair the pain, hurt, shame, guilt and trauma of the past. Get the help that you need. Get it now before surgery if you are pre-op. If you are struggling, get to a therapist or support group ASAP. Find resources. OA is always free.

I wish I had hindsight, in hindsight.

AppleSpice251
on 9/15/14 12:20 pm

Oh my goodness!!!  *LIKE*  You are very courageous to have written this.  I congratulate you and thank you.

Magnoliagirl
on 9/15/14 12:32 pm - Waltham, MA

Thank you so much for writing this!  I so needed to hear this today.  I saw the NUT today and gained 8 lbs.  I need to nip it in the bud now.  Your post really gave me a wake up and put into words things I was thinking but couldn't articulate.  Good luck to you as you continue on the journey.

Kelly Jean
on 9/15/14 11:28 pm, edited 9/15/14 11:28 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow Kairk  thank you so much awesome post... especially for us newbies who are about to or just hit maintenance! !! Food for thought. (Pun intended)  I will definitely keep all you have said in mind... 

♡ Kelly

diane S.
on 9/16/14 4:42 am

what a thoughtful and brilliant analysis of the situation regarding regain. there is so little clear information out there and it is so helpful to all of us that you have set it out in these terms.  you have helped a lot of people today.   nice job.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views