Do you wish you'd picked the bypass instead of the sleeve?

MsBatt
on 9/26/14 7:45 am

Dumping IS scary, but only about one-third of RNY patients experience it. Also, anyone CAN dump, even those who've never had WLS. Having any sort of surgery on your digestive tract does increase the likelihood that you will dump at some point.

To me, the advantages of keeping a fully-functional stomach and having no remnant stomach to worry about far outweigh the very slim chance of losing more weight with the RNY. At five years post-op, the results for the RNY and the Sleeve are virtually the same, even though RNYers often lose faster in the beginning. The RNY will give you temporary malabsorption of a small per centage of the calories you eat, but lifetime malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. Therefore, if you think you need malabsorption, the logical choice would be the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective long-term, than that of the RNY. The caloric malabsorption with the DS is much greater, and it's permanent.

MNvan
on 9/26/14 12:15 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed responses, I really appreciate all the information. Gives me more to think about. Thanks again for being so generous with your suggestions and experiences.

Quanita L.
on 9/30/14 5:24 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

I wanted to add too, my mum has mild but chronic dumping and she has never had weight loss surgery.

And I know someone who has had a lap band for 8 years was very successful and is slim healthy happy woman

So I think any weight loss surgery can be the answer for a particular person.  It is a difficult decision and asking questions like you have and doing research is the only way to get the answer that is best for you. 

My surgeon discussed a mini by pass or omega by pass with me.  From what I have read it's not covered by insurance in the states? I think.  Research wise though, the surgery is shorter, patients lose just as much as those with RNY, dumping occurs less, there are hardly any cases of reflux, there is only one site rejoined to the intestine so lower likelihood of leaks, shorter recovery time... etc etc. (you still get malabsorption and would need to take vitamin supplements for life).  

If for some reason my second sleeve does not go well, I will consider that option as a revision.  I was also very hesitant about RNY and even though I did not learn to maintain a healthy long term lifestyle with my first surgery, I in no way regret it and would still (and I have) select the sleeve as an option.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

ElizaM
on 9/30/14 9:16 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Nope. For me, the number one reason was the preservation of the pyloric valve rather than a stoma created by a surgeon.

My surgeon is totally a bypass pusher but I felt good about my decision and got the sleeve. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views