3 years out PC version - pics

slimpickins5280
on 10/18/14 10:17 am - CO

I can’t believe it’s been three years! Wow!

Three years ago I was being wheeled down a long, brightly lit hall. I was scared but happy. Now, my life is awesome! I wouldn’t change a thing!

To all you newbies out there, I say go for it!

3 years out MY version

I can’t ******g believe that it’s been three years. Wow…

I am what you might call the Apollo 13 of weight loss surgery - a successful failure. Three years out and I haven’t made it to my personal goal. There are a myriad of reasons why, but the thing they all have in common is that I still have 15 lbs to go and none of the reasons matter. 4 months ago, I had 6 lbs to go. Then, summer came and well, I ate my way through Washington DC. The successful part of my equation is that I know how to keep on going and I’m good at getting back on the wagon. That’s my thing – I’m a plodder…apparently.

In 3 years I have learned exactly 1 thing. I’ve learned that I don’t know a ******g thing. Seriously. I feel like a toddler and really I am. I’m the contrary 3-year-old who says up when everyone else says down.

There are a few things that I do well. I’m a good vitamin taker. I’m awesome with water.

I suck at carbs. One M&M and I turn into a crack baby.

I know that I will never, ever eat just 1 piece of chocolate, cookie, candy bar without going back for 5 or 20 more.

I know this life-long battle (and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise, imo) is almost completely fought in my head. Every time I justify something when it comes to food, I sit up a little straighter and take a hard look at why.

I have dated and broken up with protein bars at least a dozen times. We just broke up a couple of weeks ago.

Some things about me: I started out at 215, highest weight was 236, I got down to 141. I was 155.4 this morning. On the day of surgery I was on 2000 units of Metformin/2 times a day, Levothyroxine, a water pill of some sort and Simvastatin. I also took Zyrtec and vitamins. I went off the Metformin and the water pill while I was in the hospital right after surgery, thyroid med 2 months after surgery, and in May of 2014 I finally got my cholesterol down to 189 without meds – so no more Simvastatin.

Those are all reasons enough to have this surgery, imo, but I also feel healthier. I took karate for a few years. I can walk and not be winded or sweat through my shirt. I average 12,000 steps a day at work. My kids love to introduce me to their friends.

If I was asked to give one word of advice to newbies it would be that you HAVE TO be ready to figure the head **** out. Why do you eat the **** that you eat? My experience (take it for what it’s worth because I’m still learning) shows that there is always an emotion behind the bad food choice.

Last year (starting in June of 2013) life tested my resolve. In July 2013, I was diagnosed with Melanoma, in September my son went through an intensive black belt bootcamp, in November my mother-in-law moved in with us. Also, in November my husband had a bout of shingles that put him on short-term disability—he had them come back two more times after the first round. Then January started flights around the world for him because of work. My daughter broke her foot in March of 2014. I started a new position in the Technology dept at the high school where I work in July. That doesn’t even begin to explain the crazy-ass 1+ year we’ve had. Somewhere in there both of my kids had different mouth surgeries and my daughter was in a play. My Melanoma ended up needing 4 total surgeries.

I’m truly not telling you this to garner sympathy. I don’t feel sorry for myself and I really don’t need others feeling sorry for me. I tell you all of this to give you an example of how life happens and you better have a sense of what triggers bad eating, what stresses you can and can’t handle, what sends you to the frig and what sends you to the gym. Pick a transfer addiction that will assist you on the road to health. You can, you know-pick a transfer addiction. They don’t pick you. You pick them.

Three years in and I still only listen to about 10% of my own sagely wisdom. I’m such a stubborn-ass ***** which takes me back to not knowing anything after 3 years.

I don’t usually post on the main forum because I’ll just **** most of you off which is delightful for me, but I just don’t have the time anymore.

So, good luck to you all. I hope you all find your happy place (hahaha!!! My mind just landed in the gutter on that one!). 

Picture #1 for those of you who don't know him is Javier Colin Firth Robert Downey Jr. or Lance I call him. He is here to blow as much rainbow yumminess up your asses as you would like. 

Thank you to Frisco for the second pic. I want this t-shirt. 

Ha! You thought pics of me! 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Ihearttennis
on 10/18/14 12:10 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Hey Slim,

Glad to see you post.  I've been wondering where you've been.  I'm sorry about all that you have been through...and you've been through a lot!

Congratulations on your three years. I think you are doing great.  I have always enjoyed your snarky personality and quick-wit and I'm glad you're back!!!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

slimpickins5280
on 10/18/14 1:06 pm - CO

Hi to you, too! I love your avatar pic!

It's all good, or will be when I decide to get my head out of my ass and actually eat the foods that help me lose weight. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

stephanieplum
on 10/18/14 12:25 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi! Slim!! Happy Three Years!!!!  

I've missed you.  I love the t-shirt!!!

slimpickins5280
on 10/18/14 1:08 pm - CO

I know it! Frisco sent me the pic months ago and then I started the new job and well, here I am finally getting a chance to use it. 

I proctored PSAT's today. I need a hug. 

stephanieplum
on 10/18/14 11:00 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Big Hugs for proctoring!  I'd rather poke my eye balls out!!!! lol

grayC
on 10/18/14 1:42 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Loved this post Slim..

so related to it..

I'm 18 months out and 

I still know NOTHIN'!!

although Irecently   discovered boredom is my

big trigger to binge eating

i can't believe the **** I justify in my head!!

if I listen ,I sound like a petulant child..

BUT, I WANT IT!!!! 

UNBELIEVABLE..

some days I'm just white knuckling it to get to 

the next days in hopes it will be better.

slimpickins5280
on 10/19/14 3:49 am - CO

Yep, the obstinate child in my brain stomps her feet all of the time. 

I wish I could tell you to try something really smart to get through the day, but I have no ******g idea what works. It seems to be different every day. 

Linda B.
on 10/18/14 4:32 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

It is good to see your post, you have been missed. I'm not on much right now either, new job, then another new, better job with a steep learning curve. One of these days, you or someone else is going to tell me the back story behind Lance. Happy third anniversary. Oh, and I sure hope you are kicking cancer's ugly ass.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

slimpickins5280
on 10/19/14 3:56 am - CO

Lance goes way back to a happy time when many people on this forum would get all butt-hurt if everyone didn't tell them that what they were doing was okay. Basically, we were all supposed to be cheerleaders even if they were acting like asses and pulling stupid **** - like eating ice cream 2 weeks post op, etc. That's when I found Lance. 

His name is something that you either get or you don't and it is different for everyone. For me it is the combination of all of my dream men that I will never be able to have which goes along with him being a unicorn farting candy and rainbows. But, that is what some people want - rainbows and bull**** blown up their asses. That's why they fail, imo. 

The cancer is gone - 1 year cancer free. Woot!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views