2.5 WEEKS POST OP ...already having cravings?!?!?

Missy_B
on 10/24/14 5:38 am - Claremore, OK

I'm feeling great!  However, I need some advise. How do you handle the cravings so early? I want chocolate. I'm so tired of soft foods and liquids.    I knew it would be a mental battle. Does that mental battle ever end?

grayC
on 10/24/14 5:45 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Bad news...no it never ends...

good news..YES it gets much easier to deal with..

right now it's a sense memory working the head hunger..

hey, ya know...

it's life there will be times your white knuckling it

and times you'll pass your old favorites right by w/o a second thought..

Missy_B
on 10/24/14 6:02 am - Claremore, OK

Thanks for being real GrayC....that's what I was afraid of.

grayC
on 10/24/14 6:44 am, edited 10/24/14 6:46 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Have to tell you hon..

The first week my hubby came home w/pizza for him and the kids..

I waited til they went upstairs..got up and stuck my head in the box

and sniffed for about 2 minutes..

was I hungry,  no..but that smell triggered what was habit and addiction for me..

HELL I broke down and cried over a dunkin donuts commercial

and it was for something I never had or ever wanted ( some flatbread egg thingy)...

it gets better..I was a total carb head..pasta junkie..don't care for it anymore

you'll see on here many people stating that there tastes change..it's true

I really don't want pasta or pizza for that matter anymore..

right now your emotions are rubbed raw..you'll see it gets so much easier,

especially when you see the weight coming off..

hang in there!!!

EDITED TO ADD: my ZEN Moment...

don't be afraid..embrace..

your on a spectacular journey to

health, happiness and wellness in body and mind...

Carolyn W.
on 10/24/14 6:17 am

I had the worst head hunger. After a while it gets MUCH easier. Still a battle, but an easier battle! I'm almost a month out and I'm finally starting to not have as bad cravings!

G5x5
on 10/24/14 6:31 am - VA

It's probably a head game at this point.  However, later you'll need to purge sugar/grain from your diet or you'll always get cravings.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Eggface
on 10/24/14 7:46 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Personally there are a few foods I have chosen not to allow back into my world post WLS... so 8 years now and after about 1 year most of them stopped calling me. That works for me... everyone needs to find there own way. On the chocolate issue can you do an extra chocolatey protein shake http://www.pinterest.com/pin/246642517067451000/ 

Hope the craving eases.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

J B
on 10/24/14 12:34 pm

Head hunger really is a strange thing to get used to, and to understand it.  I'm only beginning to comprehend it now.

What I've found is that you're far more hungry for the ritual, or the comfort, or that feeling of a fully belly.  What does start to change is the connection between behavior and hunger.  Now, three months out from surgery, I find that when I'm hungry, I am actually hungry, and when I eat, the hunger goes away quickly.  THIS is normal.  This is where you want to be.  

Some of the old cravings change a lot in the first two months post surgery.  I found that slowly I was just losing interest in my former favorite foods.  For example, I don't crave pasta, which was probably my worst enemy.  I even had a small amount of chocolate and it was 'ok' but not nearly as amazing as I was expecting it to be.  I loved carbonated drinks, now I really don't like them.  The changes are dramatic.

So if you're worried that nothing has changed, I don't think this is the case.  I could say something a bit different a few years from now, but I also know I'll be a changed person then, too.  I think this too shall pass :-)

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

bellamorte17
on 10/25/14 12:17 am
VSG on 09/10/14

I give into my food indulgences by looking at pinterest. Lol. Sounds funny but I actually spend a lot of time looking at and thinking about food. The good news is even if I was to slip up and act on those indulgences, my stomach only holds so much! What I've found is I prefer the healthier foods and instead of pinning dessert recipes Im now pinning healthy VSG recipes! 

momjan
on 10/26/14 5:59 am - Canada

Everyone else has addressed the head issues, etc.  But how about having a chocolate protein shake for your treat....or those Calcium chews that we should eat....make a great dessert snack and you need it anyways so no guilt!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views