Sleeved on Halloween - my experience so far

Stace62
on 11/8/14 4:15 am
VSG on 10/31/14

Hello Everyone,

First off I would just like to say this forum is so helpful and informative, I lurked a lot pre-op and made an inquiry 3 days post op.  So thank you to everyone who contributes and shares their experiences to help the rest of us.  And with that being said here is my 8 day experience so far:

I'm 52 years old, T2DM but no insulin.  I was planning on getting the RNY but due to a very large abdominal hernia I ended up with a VSG by DR. Penner at TWH.  The OR experience was not my favorite, many students in my face and even though I explained about the nausea due to anasthesia I still was quite sick when I came to.  I had some pretty nasty bruises post op, not sure what they did to me in there but my left collarbone had a huge lump and bruise and my right thigh another huge bruise.  I've been battling sciatica since surgery day =( it gets a little better each day but kind of would like it gone. I'm hesitant to visit chiropractor because I am not able to lay on my stomach for a treatment.

So in hospital they kept me on clear fluids for the entire stay which was 48 hours, I then had to stay in the area at a hotel for another 48 hours.  I was able to buy pre made protein drinks and some SF Jello cups, I brought plain oatmeal that I microwaved etc. Been home for 3 days now and feeling pretty good, had a few episodes of slight nausea but nothing really serious.  I purchased ISO Burst Protein from GNC which has 40 g of protein per serving and comes in some great flavors, this way I only have 2 protein drinks per day as I'm really not a shake person....I have a bit of a hard time with "mushy" thick textures which stressed me out pre-op soooo much.  For the Optifast stage I just guzzled each of those down to get them over and done with but of course there is no guzzling now lol so I sip sip sip and try not to gag gag gag LOL.  My biggest peeve about protein shakes is the FOAM, what is with all the foam when you make them, and then as they sit they seem to just get more and more foam.....that's what I'm having such a hard time with *yuk*  Other than that I'm doing pretty good, getting in my protein and my liquids and feeling more energetic than I was pre-op !

Weighed myself this morning and I was down 10lbs from surgery date, 16 lbs from Optifast start, I was quite shocked to see those numbers as I don't really feel like I've lost that much weight.

If anyone is curious about anything I will try to answer from my own experience.

Thanks for listening but mostly thanks for sharing =)

HW-240  SW-235  CW-209   M1-26.4  M2-xx  M3-xx  M4-xx

Gwen M.
on 11/8/14 4:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you make a shake early and let it sit in the fridge for a bit, the foam will subside.  

Wishing you a swift recovery!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stace62
on 11/8/14 4:32 am
VSG on 10/31/14

Thanks Gwen I will try that

mevoila86
on 11/8/14 6:11 am

I got the Isopure Protein Powder from GNC. I tried it in the Nutribullet and found it was too foamy to drink. Now, I mix it with a little water and stir it until smooth. Then I slowly add the rest of the water. It's very smooth with no foam. You might want to try that one! Good luck to you!

Stace62
on 11/8/14 8:54 am
VSG on 10/31/14

Thanks Mevoila, I will give that a try tomorrow for sure =)  Good luck on your journey as well !!

wellzen
on 11/8/14 4:48 pm

Glad your surgery went well. You are doing great on weight loss. I use Unjury with almond milk or kefir and use an immersion  blender. No foam.

Wellzen   VSG 9/8/14  SW 261 

Luvmygs
on 11/9/14 2:08 am
VSG on 12/04/14

If you fill your bullet to the max and then blend, you won't get the foamies. When you're done, divide the shakes and save 1/2 for later. I'm only pre-op and don't like foamy shakes already. This works. Christine

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views