Face complexion changes post surgery

NateH
on 11/8/14 11:37 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

I've always had really clean, smooth and dry skin. Since surgery, my face has broken out and it's a constant oil slick. I assume it's just the changes in my body and diet, but has anyone else experienced this? Also, if any men have what creams/soaps do you recommend? I've been doing very gentle plant based creams to help keep things less Exxon Valdez and as 'normal' as possible. 

I totally get that this is a super minor issue, but I just hate feeling greasy all of the time. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Gwen M.
on 11/9/14 1:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My face totally broke out in the first few months after surgery, so annoying!  Now it's back to normal.  It's because of the hormone dumping post-op.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Northwet
on 11/9/14 2:58 am
with

I have Rosacea, and it went completely berserk right after my surgery.  There are other hormones and cytokines that get stored in the fat cells, and they are released when you start losing weight.  I went to see a dermatologist because I was so mad that my weight was peeling off, but my face was so red and broken out at the same time.  He put me on medications for the rosacea, but he also recommended that I use Cerave brand moisturizers and cleansers.  The medications stopped the Rosacea episode, but the continued weight loss and the Cerave cleansers and moisturizers have made my skin look wonderful - I have had old friends tell me that I'm starting to look like a model - not just because of the weight loss, but because my skin looks so supple and smooth with no redness now.  The Cerave products have no scents (they would be allergenic) so they will work equally well for a man as for a woman - they are a bit expensive for a drugstore brand - but the results are worth it, and the ingredients are as good or better than what you would get with the *very* expensive department store brands.  

MarcyisMyName
on 11/9/14 2:59 am

Oh my gosh! I am dealing with the same thing! Three months post op here, and while it is less oily, I am still breaking out. I have never had this issue in my life.

mevoila86
on 11/9/14 8:22 pm

I've always had very oily skin that's breaks out a couple times a month. When I came from surgery, I switched to my acne regimen and stuck with it since then. I used a face wash and astringent with salicylic acid. I finish up with an acne cream all over. It hasn't stopped the oil, but I haven't seen a pimple since surgery. I get all my stuff from Clinique. Its pricey, but they also have a men's line. Plus my brother won't admit it, but when he visits, he uses my face wash and then gushes about how great his face feels haha!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views