Hats off to the people who successfully completed pre-op liquid diet!

Spanky123
on 12/11/14 7:23 am

I am on a 2 week, supplement diet and find it very hard to stick to, 800 cal. I'm starving throughout the day. I hope post op won't be this hard, b/c I have 1 month on liquids.

weeziebeth
on 12/11/14 7:29 am

1 month-wow. Stay strong-it does get easier after the first few days. My surgeon did offer to write for an appetite suppressant for me. I'm not a fan of them but I can see where they might be helpful in the short term. Just a thought. 

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Spanky123
on 12/11/14 7:36 am

my one month is post op, hoping that will be easier than this 2 week supplement

weeziebeth
on 12/11/14 8:46 am

It is much easier from the hunger standpoint-10 days postop and have not been hungry in 10 days. About done with the liquids though…..sooo ready to move to the next stage!

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Thebiggestloser
on 12/11/14 9:55 am
VSG on 11/19/14 with

Yes don't worry - for me it is much easier post op

Dee R.
on 12/11/14 10:44 am - CA

So much easier post-op!!  I'm on day two of getting to eat real food.  Just be diligent and follow what your NUT says.  It's totally worth it!!

Gwen M.
on 12/11/14 11:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't find mine hard to stick to because I kept really focused on what I was going to be getting at the end - an awesome new stomach!  Keep your eyes on the prize, keep as busy as possible, you can do it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Spanky123
on 12/11/14 12:15 pm

I have an issue with these pre op diets, if we could stick to a 800 calorie diet then we wouldn't need to have this surgery. There is SO much variation from doctor to doctor, I find it hard to believe it makes that much of a difference. 

weeziebeth
on 12/11/14 9:24 pm

As many have said, the purpose of the pre-op diet is to 'shrink' the liver so that your surgeon's approach to your stomach is easier and surgery safer. You are right though, there is tremendous variation from surgeon to surgeon and truth be told, there have been a number of recent studies that call in to doubt the benefit of the 'liver shrink' pre-op diet. My approach to the pre-op regimen was that it was my surgeon's program and was his area of expertise, not mine. I would follow the program as laid out by his office, even if I thought I could work my way around it. This was a very important point for me in my decision whether or not to proceed with surgery. I needed to make the commitment to follow the surgeon's plan because they have had much greater success in this whole weight loss journey than I ever have. If I couldn't trust their process, then no point in proceeding. At least that was how it was for me. 

These few weeks are difficult, but you CAN do it! I hope that it gets better day by day and that you wake this morning with renewed purpose and determination. 

Debbie_04
on 12/11/14 12:55 pm
VSG on 12/29/14

I am just finishing day 2 of my liquid diet.  Mine is 21 days so just getting started.  But I am focused on the prize and its making it easier.  The time of year may make it harder for me but I have no doubt I can do it.

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views