How do you deal with not hitting goal

TiaHa49
on 12/15/14 4:08 pm - Cleveland, OH

Hey Frisco,

Oh ive definitely noticed the change but Ive been honest and up front...I cant be in that class.  It doesn't work for me.  20 mos out doesn't make me an old timer...it puts me in the still learning class.  I read this and a few other boards and I read about regain-how it happens, why it happens and how it makes people feel.  I know how it made me feel!  I'll stay old school, listen to my surgeon, PA/RD, my health/numbers and those on this board that are tried and true.  Ive said it a million times...this has got to work for me and Ive got to work for it. 

I had to read what you wrote a few times...my brain had to kick in and tune in to what I wanted.  I'll be honest and people will think im crazy coming from the weights I have.  I don't want to be 150.  I like being 130 something...I feel good, healthy.  Maybe in 5/10 years 150 will be ok lol but id like to enjoy this for a bit. 

Im finding out about some tolerances now...as far as food goes, any new foods introduced have to be done at home.  Ive had a few unpleasant episodes and that was enough not only to learn what still wont work and that its best done at home.  My body doesn't take well to not sleeping properly, eating right or getting my liquids.  The sleep is most important.  I will retain water without proper sleep.  I will gain weight if I don't make myself a priority.  Ive learned so much...again that's why we need you guys here! 

Working on my pre albumin lol:-),

tia

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/12/14 12:23 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You know it took me about six to nine months to lose to within 20 lbs of goal and then another year or so to get to see that number on the scale. I wasn't really fighting like what Frisco says which probably would have worked faster. I was in maintenance but a pretty tight maintenance and then it just happened. I think that I was still taking in less calories than necessary to truly maintain but as there was little left to lose it just took forever. I was close to just saying f-it and calling it at 127, then at 125... but then it just went down sort of all by itself. Maybe just give it time. During this long plateau establish your maintenance parameters and checks and balances. It is good practice. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Lemily
on 12/12/14 12:51 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Great guidance Julia!~

White Dove
on 12/12/14 12:43 am - Warren, OH

My goal was 136 and at two years I was 128.  I expected kudos at the visit to my surgeon, but he reminded me again that Bounceback weight gain is a reality and advised me to keep losing.  I did not listen and was sure I would not regain.  Six months later I started regaining and had reached 142 when I panicked and joined Weigh****chers again.

The regained weight never came all the way off and there are times when I have gone as high as 146.  I now weigh daily.  I seem to do better in the summer than in the winter.  I am currently 141 and that is pretty average for December.  Last year I was 146 after the holidays and it took me until April to get back to 136.  I do that by cutting 500 calories a day, which is not easy.

Maintenance is not like with other diets.  It is truly a lifetime task.  I deal with it by weighing daily and staying always aware.  I would advise you to just go for that 145.  Do it with tracking calories and aim for a pound a week of loss with 500 less calories a day.  The easy way to determine how many calories you need to maintain is to multiply your weight by 10.  For you that will be 1600 and your losing goal would be 1100 a day.

It will take about 15 weeks to do that and you can reasonably expect to hit your 145 in April.  I believe in reaching for dreams and making them come true.  It will never be as easy again for you to get to your dream goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MAchick
on 12/12/14 11:10 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm struggling with this too. I picked 155 as my goal weight because it put me at the top of a "normal" bmi and it was a 100lb loss from where I started.

My surgiversary is 1/27/15 and I was really hoping to be at goal by then. I've cone to the realization that I put myself into maintenance and now it's a bit more tricky coming out. I don't eat unhealthy,  just need to make a few tweaks. For example,  only bring two cheese sucks to work instead of three like I was doing for a few weeks. Yesterday I only ate one! 

I'm at 169 right now and still want to get to 155, I'm 5'6. It's hard because my surgeon never gave me a goal,  and my family keeps saying to not lose too much more. But I want it!! I'm not too thin,  I'm a size 10. I'm healthy,  even though I still think I'm on the chubby side. But I want 155 and size 8...

GingerJen
on 12/14/14 2:56 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I have a little different perspective. I think you have to look at how much work it takes to get to a certain weight and decide if that's maintainable. 5 years ago I got down to 175. I did not have any surgery at the time and I was working out hard 90 min a day and strict with food. I kept trying to get to 150 but couldn't maintain the time it took to push for that. So then I started to just give up and that got me to 355. The thing is I was very thin and healthy in the 170s but I never saw it because I was pushing for a number. I wished I had just focused on maintaining that for awhile and then could've maybe pushed more after that. I'm lucky now because I know I got in the 170s and so that is my goal. Although at 190 I fit into the clothes I wore 5 years ago-so I think the skin makes me heavier at the same size. I think it's just important to take into account what works within the rest of your life. 

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

happyteacher
on 12/14/14 4:51 am

No reason to give up on it if that is really what you want. I wonder though, since you seem very content at your current weight. It is not a bad idea though to go below your ideal to put a little rebound cushion in there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views