I need some help here. (REGAIN)

tazman74
on 12/15/14 5:31 am - lakeville, MN
VSG on 01/31/12

I know Go back to the basics is what everyone says but here is the issue. I am now an over the road trucker (yes I am watching the truckstop foods) I mostly cook in my truck. But here is the problem I have gained about 65 lbs in almost 2 years. I have got my hyperglycemia back (low blood sugar). I need to try and figure out a way to really get back to the basics while on my truck. I have all the cooking items you need at home (less the sink) and I have a fridge also. any ideas or help will be welcome please no neg comments. I AM ASKING FOR HELP and thats something I don't do lightly.

happyteacher
on 12/15/14 5:43 am

Wowzers- that is a challenge indeed. Do you find yourself grazing while driving? In other words, take a good hard look at what your current eating patterns are so you will know where to begin adjusting. Personally, I for whatever reason feel an overwheling desire to munch just about anything when I drive- but I only have a 50 minute commute and have reduced it to coffee.Log everything. I cook very simply due to being utterly lazy, so I hear you about having a simple kitchen. I can get by with something to hea****er, a sandwhich sized Forman grill, a very small refridgetertaor... you get the idea. I would genlty suggest to focus on proteins and green leafy veggies. For example, I do a breakfast sandwich as of late. One egg in a microwave egg cooker-done in less than a minute. I put it on a 100 calorie english muffin, put a 40 calories thin slice of cheese over the egg and the steam will melt it, add a handful of spinach and a tomotoe slice and it is delicous and very hearty. It is also under 200 caloires- even less if you find a different bread option like a Tumaro 40 calorie wrap. Try adding in veggies to help you with volume, drop your carbs down to only high quality types (whole grain, veggies) Swear off anything processed. Make a list of favorite items to keep stocked and work from your list throughout the week. I would stock up on protein shakes and replace 2 meals a day with them- it will help you to get your restriction back. 

Hang in there, and I am glad for you that you are working to get it under control. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

tazman74
on 12/15/14 5:48 am - lakeville, MN
VSG on 01/31/12

Yes I have been catching myself grazing and I have stopped it. I have a cheese stick for a snack mid morning and after lunch. The problem is I dont have the restriction as I once did. Thanks

Gwen M.
on 12/15/14 6:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The good news is that you've done this before and you can do it again.  I'd recommend that you start logging every single thing you put in your mouth with something such as MyFitnessPal to see what you're ingesting and what needs to change.  From there, stick to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be a little different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

I don't know what your schedule is like, but are you able to prepare foods on your days off and then keep them in single serve portions to heat up in your truck?  That would probably be the way I'd try to handle things.  There are lots of great recipes out there for things made in muffin cups that are super easy to portion out.  But, even without muffin cups, there are many easily reheatable foods - if you've got time to prepare them.  What's your schedule like?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MegZorar
on 12/15/14 6:47 am, edited 12/15/14 6:48 am

Try eating more chicken--rotisseries from the supermarket are an easy choice and you'll get several meals. Chicken fills me up longer than any other protein.

Also this might be emotional eating. Maybe you're lonely or bored on the road.

Good luck.

sechax0r
on 12/15/14 6:49 am
VSG on 11/03/14

How about protein shakes? I have a neighbor that is a truck driver (local) and he works nights. I turned him on to protein shakes. He generally has two protein shakes during his 12 hour shift.  It keeps him full and from grazing, he just sips as he drives along. He has lost a bunch of weight too. Try to finish off the day with a healthy meal (protein and some non starchy veggies). Also I know it is tough to exercise but maybe try parking farther from the truck stop or taking a 15 minute walk when you stop for fuel or if you are laid over. Probably feel good to stretch those legs anyway.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/15/14 6:59 am, edited 12/15/14 7:08 am
VSG on 01/11/16

How long are you on the road at a time? 3 weeks? Do you have a freezer or just the fridge?

Not sure how difficult clean up is.

Without a freezer it would be hard to make mass quantities while you are home and bring pre-made dinners with you. you'd have to make a dinner and can have leftovers for lunch the next day.

The breakfast sandwich mentioned above sounds delish.. or a protein shake

Quick lunches could be hard boiled eggs, tuna packets or those p3 packages.. dinner leftovers

Grilled chicken, fish or ground turkey with a few bites of veg or make a frittata for dinner and have leftovers for lunch the next day

A big pot of turkey chili you can heat up a cup at a time

Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 12/15/14 7:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's a link to the post you made in 2013 asking the same thing!  The advice is probably still relevant :)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4632672/Need-some-advi se/#38425648

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PaulaToronto
on 12/15/14 7:26 am - Toronto, Canada

Hard boiled eggs, turkey kubaca, cold steak or chicken done on BBQ and packed to go, chicken or turkey meatballs in tomato sauce.  Focus on getting 3-4 ounces of dense protein and a bit of veg.  You may be surprised that your restriction is still there if you start with dense protein always first, even for snacks.  Drinks tons of water and limit your carbs - when I am trying to lose I stay below 40 grams. Good luck, you can do this.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

greensleeved
on 12/15/14 9:23 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Are you bored? That would lead to grazing for me. I chew gum when I have the urge to graze and it keeps my mouth busy. Drink a lot (I know that's probably hard when on the road too b/c of the pee breaks). I know you know this, but cut the carbs and up the protein. Cheese, eggs, jerky, deli meat are all portable and you can usually find them in individual portions. Atkins has some frozen dinners that might be truck friendly if you have a microwave. The Oscar Meyer P3 protein packs are perfect - cheese and meat cubes plus nuts. Filling and lots of variety. Good luck.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 64 views