Best Decision I ever Made?

November18
on 12/21/14 12:32 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Before I had this surgery, I was on this site reading constantly looking for reassurance. Most posts I read said surgery was the best decision I ever made or my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Just this morning someone commented it was the best decision they ever made and they are only two weeks out. I want to have that feeling but I'm getting scared I never will. Now when I come on the site it seems I keep reading posts about regain or dental problems or stomach pain and these posts worry me. These negative posts had to be here before. Did I just ignore them and focus on the positive because I wanted this so much? Guess I'm still dealing with the buyer's remorse. Wish this stall would end maybe that would help. I just kind of feel like a fish out of water because everyone else seems to be breezing by and eating isn't even an issue for them. I'm doing ok but I feel like every day is a struggle. Does everyone feel it's the best decision they ever made?

Bonnie

Gwen M.
on 12/21/14 1:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm not sure I'd say it's the best decision I've ever made ever, since I've made some pretty awesome choices in my life.  (Some pretty bad ones too!)  But it's definitely the best thing I did for myself in 2014.  :)

And I say that now, even though my weight pretty much hasn't budged since Thanksgiving.  I still think it was the right choice and I know that I'll reach my goal thanks to the help the VSG gives me. I'm healthier than I've been probably in my entire life and even though I have always loved my life, even 120 pounds ago, I love my life even more today.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

crittemom
on 12/21/14 1:13 am

For me it is the best thing, because I've had many other surgeries that may have been avoided had I had this surgery first. But I didn't know it was something that I could have, and my doctors never suggested it. It has halted and put my diabetes in check, reduced dramatically my arthritis, and has removed me from 3 of the 4 meds I was taking. It is even saving me money that way, about $200 a month! There are always risks with every surgery, but I have found if you do everything EXACTLY as the dos and nurses say, most times things turn out right. But you have to be committed. And diligent and watchful of anything that might be out of order, and correct it, if possible as son as possible. I have a lot of faith in my Heavenly Father, and He has seen me through all of this stuff for many years. God Bless you and a Merry Christmas!

psychoticparrot
on 12/21/14 1:23 am

I haven't had my surgery yet (about 6 weeks to go), but I know already it's the best decision I ever made. I fully expect that there will be complications, stalls, buyer's remorse, and any number of hurdles, but for me, not having the surgery would be the worst decision I could make. At my weight and at my age, without the surgery, I may as well curl up in a corner and die. That's how bad the excess weight is affecting my health and my quality of life -- it's truly hardly worth living anymore. You made the right decision. Some people sail through the healing process with flying colors; others find it difficult. It will work out for you. 

psychotic parrot

MegZorar
on 12/21/14 1:23 am, edited 12/21/14 1:24 am

You're probably not alone. People don't often post their struggles. There's personal shame and sometimes smack downs from other folks. 

But hang in there. Be strategic in your choices. And ask your surgery team for help. You just paid them a lot of money for their expertise. Make the most of it.

For me, the sleeve has been a powerful weapon in my fight with obesity. I work hard at it and expect to succeed. There are also some tricks you pick up along the way: Choose dark-meat chicken over fish because you'll feel fuller longer; drink up to 2 Premier Protein shakes a day; prepare a large bottle of water each night flavored with Crystal Light  and drink all day; choose blueberries over grapes to limit sugar etc etc etc

I also allow myself to have a treat--an occasional frozen yogurt bar, some full-fat gourmet cheese, a tiny bite of cheesecake. Will my nutritionist lose her **** over this? Maybe. But my doctor is practical and we've discussed the big picture. And the big picture is that we're all on a journey to learning how to eat better and take care of ourselves. There'll be struggles and there will be days when you have a bite of dessert. But so what? I don't even see that as being derailed. Just keep going. Keep committed, keep putting one foot in front of the other. The journey of a thousand miles and all that....

I can tell you're discouraged. This might be a defining moment for you. Just keep following your program. You have all the tools you need for success. Don't give up. Good luck to you.

Eggface
on 12/21/14 2:00 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Yep, best decision I ever made.

You know on Forums you are always going to see a few more negative threads then positive... It would be sort of odd to start threads like "Yet another AWESOME day post WLS" or "Day 3107 post WLS, NO complaints whatsoever"  I could do one pretty much every day though ;) 

Now I didn't say that till about 7 weeks or so... and the first 2 I cried at least once and day and said things like "What the hell did I do to myself?" 

At about 7 weeks I started to feel "normal" again and by the 1 year mark I would have done it all over (even the worst days) in a nano-second. No regrets.

Hope you will soon feel the same way!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Char1Char
on 12/21/14 2:11 am

You are not alone. My weight loss from October 10th, 2014, has been slow. At one point about a month ago, I didn't lose an ounce for 2 weeks!!! I read posts on here and wonder why I don't lose at the speed of others. But I must say, it is coming off. One thing to remember is STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE. I was obsessed with it for the first few weeks and it will kill your spirit. I now only weigh about once every 2 to 3 weeks.

Give it time. As a friend who had the surgery about 5 years ago told me, "one day you will get on the scale and BOOM! you will have lost 5 pounds in a week and didn't even realize it." It is true. I didn't believe anything anyone told me but it will happen for you. Just be patient. You didn't gain the weight in a day; you're not going to lose it in a day. now I am 40 pounds lighter than when I had the surgery. I also exercise on a regular basis. At least 3 times a week with the treadmill and a few machines. You must move to lose. 

Don't get discouraged. Get up, move and eat according to your plan. It will come off.

Good luck!!!

Char1Char
on 12/21/14 2:13 am

And read Shelly's posts on "The World According to Eggface." Awesome recipes, stories and photos.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 4:40 am

Hey, I want to tell you that I am one of those who has regained some weight and I still think that VSG was the best decision I made for my health. I have absolutely no regrets about getting the surgery whatsoever.

I also want to tell you a little talked about fact: REGAIN DOESN"T HAPPEN TO YOU. REGAIN IS CAUSED BY EATING TOO MUCH (reverting back to old habits or having magical thinking about your ability to eat like a normal person, etc...).

I'd encourage you to think about your weight after reaching goal as being flexible, too. It is normal to fluctuate a bit in your weight. You will have to decide how much of a fluctuation you are willing to accept. Mine will always be a 5 pound fluctuation from this point forward. I can deal with a 5 pound fluctuation. More than that and I have trouble taking it off again with ease.

And should you ever have a regain of weight for whatever reason, you can chose to regain control. I have actually learned so much about myself and my food issues because of my regain that I'm actually now grateful for having gone through the regain and the struggle of getting back in control. Sure it was scary for awhile there, but in the end it has been worth it.

So yes, sometimes I struggle. And yes, I put my story out there for people to read, not to scare or worry people, but because I think it's important to see all sides of this journey. I'm no longer embarrassed by my regain of weight. It happened. And it's happened to a lot of people. What I want to make sure everyone understands is that I was not a victim of happenstance. Regain of weight happened because of my actions.

Please don't worry about regain of weight. It is within your control and is NOT AN INEVITABILITY! You get to be in the driver's seat.

crittemom
on 12/21/14 6:26 am

You are an inspiration! Any thoughts/suggestions for us newbies on how to avoid regain, other than the obvious of staying on track? Any sneaky pitfalls to be aware of? Any advice is helpful. I like to know what's coming at me before it hits! Information is power! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views