day 2 with the sleeve

mickeymantle
on 1/24/15 7:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

do not take a laxative or any meds at this time without your surgeons approval,, the gas you are feeling is the gas the injected into you during surgery nothing will remove it but walking and time   a hot towel is the best thing for this pain 

call your surgeon if you think you have more than normal pain someone should be on call 24/7

laxatives are the worst thing to take now they will make you more dehydrated and courser stomach contractions

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 5:13 am

thanks! the Dr sent me home with one. Used it once, but not a huge help. Still trying with hot compresses and things. 

KattattaK
on 1/24/15 7:50 am

Congrats on your surgery, and thank you for sharing this! One of my major concerns has been whether sleeve surgery would feel like band surgery;I hate that "tight" feeling from the band. It's the worst! 😞

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 4:24 am

I had the same exact concern. One of the many reasons LB wasn't for me was for that reason. I forgot to mention that I also had a hiatal hernia repair (like many patients who get sleeved actually) and I do believe that's the reason I am having that tightness. I can't say for sure though. 

From my research and things, I don't think you get that tightness we hated from LB bc they're not making the stoma (entrance of the stomach from the esophagus) smaller. They're making the stomach smaller, not the entry. So, I really think this is just a wacky beginning feeling. I also had scar tissue from the band. 

Honestly, the sleeve pain isn't that bad at all. My issue is the gas and the hernia pain. 

I'm right there with you on the LB concerns, but this already feels very different! Best of luck on your journey. 

KattattaK
on 1/25/15 5:06 am

Thank you!!! Planning on having band removal this spring and contemplating sleeve revision down the road. I've been getting so much information here! I love this site! So good to hear your sleeve surgery went well!

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 5:15 am

I had the sleeve done with a new surgeon. Right after I woke up, the first thing he told me was "you had lots of scarring from the band". Then, he told my family in the waiting area I totally just wasn't a candidate and that this will be a totally different lifestyle for me. I feel it already. I really do. It's just different. I already feel like this was the best choice I could have made. If you have ANY questions, feel free to message me! 

KattattaK
on 1/25/15 5:29 am

THANK YOU!!! I would definitely love to keep up on your progress and keep in touch! I know I'm going to need some type of revision surgery, and from my research and what I've read here, the sleeve seems like the one I would choose, but it all depends on what they find when they remove my band and whether I will be a good candidate or not. Just thinking about it causes so much anxiety! I'm going to send you a friend request right now 😊

Leebee3
on 1/25/15 5:06 am
VSG on 01/22/15

I had surgery on the 22nd as well!!   Feeling pretty good.  Gas pain and bloating is the worst.  I had my gall bladder removed to but very little pain associated with that or the sleeve.  Mostly gassy feeling.  Been walking around the house and got outside today before the snow hits.  Hope we can all support each other on this journey!  

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 5:18 am

Same with me! I totally feel like a giant lava lamp. I took a nice hot shower and just let the water fall on my back. That kind of helped soothe it for a bit. It's pretty easy to walk around, but I, too, am trying to stay inside since the snow is pretty bad here and super icy. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I guess Jan 22, 2016 we will both be doing some serious celebrating! Best of luck

Leebee3
on 1/25/15 7:55 am
VSG on 01/22/15

A speedy recovery to you too!!   This will be a great journey!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views