Pre op sleep apnea

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/15 5:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had surgery at 285lb and still used my CPAP for quite a while. I got the OK to stop using it when I hit 180ish, my surgeon said that's the point when he recommends people try to transition off. I was a bit nervous going without, so I waited a bit longer, but by 175ish I was totally off of it. So maybe getting a bit lower will help :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/15 5:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was on a CPAP for about a year before I had surgery. I brought it to the hospital with me (surgeon's orders) so I could be hooked up to it while I was under anesthesia. I'm not sure how it happened, but it never made it into the OR with me, and as soon as I went under, I stopped breathing. It took an extra hour for them to get me "back" while I was in surgery, and an extra hour (maybe more) to get me fully awake in the recovery room. And THEN they didn't hook me up to it in my hospital room but had me on a cannula instead, and I struggled to keep my oxygen up.

So yeah, this is just one random person's story, but they're serious when they say it could be a problem.

The good news? If your apnea is severe, getting on the machine will help you feel WORLDS better. Seriously. I had no idea how exhausted I'd been before I got my CPAP and started actually sleeping. It took a bit to get used to, but it was definitely worth it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views