4 year VSG anniversaray

Jenny C.
on 4/26/15 6:34 am

Hello all!  I do not really come to the site anymore except for anniversaries--though I was here multiple times a day for at least a year, and daily for at least two years.  It was a great source of information and encouragement.  I always liked people's anniversary posts, so here is mine.

My highest weight was 244.  At the time of my surgery I weighed 237.  I'd been a bicycle commuter at that weight since September of 2005--but though bicycling made me strong, it did not make me lose more than a few pounds.  When I was investigating surgeries, my insurance would only pay for the lap-band or gastric bypass.  I was scheduled for a by-pass (two weeks from surgery date) when an anesthesiologist friend advised that I consider the VSG with a group of experienced surgeons he recommended.  Thank goodness!  It did mean that I paid out of pocket for my VSG, but I couldn't have been happier with my surgeon or with the procedure and outcome.

I had the surgery just a couple of weeks shy of my 51st birthday.  I lost in a stair-step fashion...big loss, no loss, no loss, small loss, no loss, then a pound a day for a few days in a row.  It is hard to wait when you just want that scale to move, but I learned that that is what my body did.  My job was to follow my instructions and eating plan and to have faith that it would work.  And it did.  Reached first goal of 150 by December, then down to 145, then 140, then 137 for a while.  

In September of 2011, I started road bicycling, initially doing 20 miles on Sundays.  By April of 2012, I started riding 45 miles every Saturday with a group of fast riders.  So that's what I do, commute 6 miles round trip by bike during the week, and about 65 miles every weekend.  In July I will ride the Seattle-to-Portland ride in one day (200 miles).  I am so in love with bicycling, and feel incredibly lucky to be able to participate in my sport daily.

Here are things I love about being normal weight:  being comfortable, wearing dresses without thigh chafe, walking without getting blisters, buying clothes, wearing clothes, wearing shorts, and my absolute favorite:  being an athlete again in my life.  I will be 55 in a couple of weeks, and I have never been stronger or more fit in my life.  

My weight went up to 142, and that is where I have stabilized.  I did have gains over the winter for the last two years--7 pounds at the end of 2013 and 14 (14!!!!) at the end of 2014.  That was so scary for me.  The 7 pounds I lost so quickly, the 14 took much longer.  That winter gain has been a giant wake-up for me.  I know that I can eat more now (significantly more) than I could at one year after surgery.  Quality of food really matters for me.  And sugar is an enemy of mine.  I have a strict no sugar policy except for rare occasions, and that is just the way it has to be for me.  That 14 pounds meant my clothing did not fit as before, I was far less comfortable in my body, and--most important to me--put me at risk for not being able to keep up on my group rides.  That weight HAD to go, thank goodness I was successful. 

I wish everyone the best on your weight loss (and loss maintenance!!) journey.

Thanks for reading!

Jenny

With my friend Karen, whose husband recommended VSG to me.  Karen was with my husband and me for my surgery!

Dancing with my husband on a boat!!!

On my ride yesterday.

Loser2542
on 4/26/15 7:21 am

Thanks for popping in and sharing your story and photos. I find it very helpful to hear about success stories, and struggles along the way. Congratulations on your healthy life!

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

Joanna B
on 4/26/15 9:09 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Stories like this inspire men =] Thank you and congratulations on your weight loss!! 

-Flo-
on 4/26/15 9:41 am
DS on 04/11/16

Congrats! You're doing amazing!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/26/15 10:38 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congrats on doing such an amazing job!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 4/26/15 9:58 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

Thank you for sharing your story of success. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Tracy D.
on 4/27/15 5:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Fantastic story, Jenny!  You look so happy and healthy now.  Glad to hear you've recaptured your inner athlete 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views