11 days out..having problems with getting much...

MyTurn2012
on 5/5/15 4:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

I need some advice on how to get in everything! What my day looks like right now

Up at 7am take my meds with  4 oz water , 7:30-8am breakfast, now have to wait 1 hr before taking in water..9 am til 11:30 trying to get in a 8oz glass of water..wait 30 minutes and have lunch from 12 until 12:30..take multi vit and vit D. wait until 1:30 before resuming water, stop water at 2:30 wait another hour till 3:30-3:45 for a snack wait another hour, resume water till 6, stop/wait 1/2hr till dinner at 6:30-7pm+ PPI wait another hour to resume water until 10

At this rate I'm getting about 500-600 cal and 80+gr protein and maybe 3 or 4 cups of water a day in...right now I'm taking it easy..time off work...still have discomfort while putting anything in my new sleeve. It feels like a full time job just getting this in...

WHEN will I be able to get more fluids down in a shorter space in time? I have periods of lightheadedness, rarely hungry..in fact it's basically forcing myself to eat. I'm sick of sweet stuff such as protein shakes, greek yogurt with unsweetened apple sauce..I do have chicken broth w unflav protein powder added...even soups taste sweet to me. On Fri I move to Pureed foods with will give me some better choices..but still the issue of trying to get enough in. 

Another issue is already feeling constipated again...anyone know how long after surgery we can start taking Colace? I worry with not getting enough water in this could be a problem with the Colace.

I'm very happy I had the surgery just struggling with getting enough in.   

winehead
on 5/6/15 3:26 am

My plan only requires 30 minutes after a meal to resume fluid intake

beelitehobbies
on 5/6/15 6:03 am - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

One thing I have learned is that there are a crazy number of different plans out there. All  vary wildly depending on the doctor and clinic. The head nurse at the surgical unit I went too said it best to me when I went in for a post surgery checkup. "Listen to your body. It knows what you need." 

Forget the plan. Drink, drink, drink to get your fluids. Slow down,listen  and feel your stomach?....or whats left of it.

My 2 cents worth so far!

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Gwen M.
on 5/6/15 6:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My plan (and knowledge of how the pyloric valve works) also only requires me to skip liquid in the 30 minutes after eating.  

I started using Miralax in my morning shake pretty much immediately after I got out of liquids.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 5/6/15 8:11 am

The most important thing at this point is to get your fluids in.  Sip, sip, sip.  You do not need to stop drinking before eating (double check with your medical team), but really maybe stop 5 mins before.  I would have oz requirement on myself before I could eat.  3-4 cups of water / day is too low.  Really push to get  that up.  The calories will come w/ time.  

In a few weeks you will be able to chug liquids again.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

psren13
on 5/6/15 8:57 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I have a problem with everything even water having a sweet taste.   I think it is from our bodies going into ketosis from low carbs that leaves that sweet taste and "dragon" breath.  As far as the time wait, every surgeon has their schedule for their own reasons.  I have found to the most part that no liquid for 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after are pretty much a norm (is for me).  I think the delay after is so that your body can start the digesting of the protein before it can be flushed out or diluted.  Not sure, just MHO.  sip water all the time but try to keep track.  Don't concern yourself over calories, they take care of themselves if your protein and carbs are in order.  You must increase your fluid intake, whi*****ludes juices (high in carbs though) soups water milk, anything liquid.  Good luck

Oneillch
on 5/6/15 10:04 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I would confirm with your dr, but like most people have said, my nutritionist's instructions were not to eat until 30 minutes after drinking and the same wait to drink after meals. She also suggested that I fill a 64 oz container, each day, and drink from that so I know I'm at least getting my minimum fluids in. Also, after starting soft foods, I started having horrible constipation (even though I was drinking plenty) so I started adding Miralax to my coffee (every other day) and it has helped tremendously. Not to worry, it may take you a little time, but you'll find what works best for you.

momsy55
on 5/6/15 9:49 am - ME

The rule in the WLS program I went to was nothing to drink at least 30 minutes before and after eating.  Before was so there was room to get the protein in.  After was to not flush out what was in there.  Also, if you drink too soon after eating, especially when it's dense protein, the liquid has no where to go but come out the way it went in.  Once, I miscalculated the time and drank too soon.  It was very painful and I got the slimies.  It was sheer force of will that I didn't throw up.

As far as getting enough fluids in, as time goes on and your stomach heals, you will be able to drink a larger amount in a shorter period of time.  I found sucking on sugar free popsicles worked well for me, as it gave me a steady stream of fluids without taking in too much at a time.  Each popsicle is equal to 2 oz. of water.  I would just do one after the other, and could finish 3-4 in a half hour, which would still give me time to sip on water, herbal tea, broth, etc.  Though this may not work for you because of the sweetness.  Also, protein shakes, yogurt and strained soups all count as fluids, so you may be getting in more than you think.

As far as constipation, I had a real problem with that, at first.  On day 8 or 9, the nurse at the WLS program had me take MOM to clean me out.  After that, I did fiber gummies and used Smooth Move tea if needed.  Again, check with your WLS program for what they recommend.  I know a lot of folks use Miralax mixed into liquid in the morning, and find that helps.  I don't know about colace, but check with the WLS program.  As you move forward, and eventually get to the phase where you can eat a variety of solid foods, you'll be able to incorporate more fiber into your diet.  For me that was at the end of 6 weeks, but each plan is different.  Best of luck to you and keep us postedf!   Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

MyTurn2012
on 5/6/15 9:58 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Thank you everyone! I've got a call into my NUT about the Colace and the timing of water etc ;-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views