Depression is getting the best of me...

FindingMyWeigh
on 5/30/15 4:51 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Here's a thought: see about using an older anti-depressant that's often used for neuropathy, help sleeping etc. Amitriptyline. I get like 90 of them for neuropathy, take 1-2 a day, but don't have the need to take an SSRI anymore. Costs about $10-$15 for 90 pills.

Hang in there!

C

FindingMyWeigh
on 5/30/15 4:55 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

ETA: That is the cash price as I do not have medical insurance, either. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/30/15 6:38 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Sorry you're having a hard time right now. GwenMo posted a link a couple of weeks back that listed a bunch of services dedicated to mental health. You might want to check it out since everyone can't afford therapy out of pocket, but there was still help out there anyway. You might have to scroll back for the link or pm her, she still might have the link.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hislady
on 5/30/15 10:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

Also talk to your pharmacist there are programs thru the drug companies that will sometimes pay for at least some if not all of your medication. Talk to them or contact the company that makes the drug you need. My mom was able to get some very expensive medication for next to nothing when she was on soc. security. The YWCA also sometimes has programs for women to help with certain medical issues. Good luck and you DO look amazing, you have done a great job with your weight but sadly no surgery will ever make life smooth. Trust me if there was I'd be in line right behind you!

LeapSecond
on 5/31/15 4:42 am - AR

You have done great and look good!  

I think you are going to have to be selfish for yourself.  Being a single mom is big job, having WLS is a big change and working all have their own stresses.   If meds helped before and you are off of them then borrow from other areas in your life to get your mental health in order.  The rest of your life will thank you.  

There are cheap anti depressants if they will work for you. Ask your doctor.  If not drug companies have patient assistance programs if you qualify.  Community clinics with reduced fees or sometimes free clinics.  

Sometimes we just need to look at it from a different angle.  Hope this helps. Peace.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

cappy11448
on 5/31/15 5:34 am

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with depression.  When we are obese, it's easy to blame the obesity for all our struggles.  But, of course, weight loss doesn't fix everything. Hang in there.  You'll get thru this. 

I am so glad you posted the pictures.  You look great!  Look how far you've come!  You will lose the rest of the excess weight if you keep to plan. I know you can do it.

You are an inspiration, and I've always watched for your posts because of your wisdom and kindness of spirit.  Please take good care of yourself.  You are a treasure.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

teachernikki
on 5/31/15 6:41 am - Lewiston, ME

Hi!

You look awesome, keep it up! As someone who has struggled with depression in the past and have a wonky deal with insurance, I contacted the drug manufacturer company of the medicine I was taking and they provided free meds. Literally a life saver. Its worth a shot! Good Luck!!

Nikki

StephK10
on 6/1/15 5:09 am

Oh, that black dog of depression.  I know it so very well.  The fact that mental health concerns aren't as high up the list of priorities in our healthcare system is appalling.

One thing I would suggest is the possibility of pastoral counseling. While it is rooted in the church, it is by no means a "pray and everything will get better" response to mental illness.  Most counselors happen to be both Christian and therapists, and feel it is their duty to serve their fellow human beings.  They also tend to be the most understanding about a sliding scale payment service!  

I didn't look to see if you post your location, but they are available throughout the country.  It's an option you may want to consider, if you can.  http://www.aapc.org/

Good luck.  I know this is such a difficult time.  Take care of yourself. You've come SO FAR.

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/15 5:35 am

Hi you are doing amazing. Be proud of all that you have accomplished while dealing with depression. Depression is no joke I struggle with it for 19 yrs now and I need meds and take them. They have made me gain wt. Most of the med's do. Please if you are depressed and can recognize it, then get help, talk to the professionals, maybe you need a little something and that's ok. You have conquered your wt loss, don't let depression steal your joy. Best wishes to you and keep going

WereYorkie
on 6/4/15 7:04 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Call 2-1-1. 211 is for community information and referral services. They can refer you to low cost or no cost counseling. Many universities off a sliding scale for counseling services from their PhD's students. The students need to complete a certain amount of time counseling people in order to get their state license. 

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please don't think that you can't get the meds and help you need. Where there's a will, there's a 2-1-1! 

Good luck!

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views