New!

T2011mommy2b
on 7/5/15 9:20 pm

hi guys,

I'm new to this while thing. I'm looking into the sleeve and would really love some advice. I haven't contacted a surgeon or anything yet. The most I have done is enrolled in a seminar to learn more about it. My current family physician is against the surgery so I'm not having much luck there and I'm not sure what all I have to do before I can even have the surgery. I don't go to the doctor much so I don't have anything really documented about prior attempt to lose weight or anything. I have been over weight for a long time now and I've tried alot to lose weight and it's just not helping. Any advice to how to go about all this would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

roxytrim
on 7/6/15 5:21 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Your struggles sound very familiar to many of us.  I would suggest a great place to start is any question that comes to your mind, just click on the little spy glass at the center top & I'll bet you it has been asked & discussed before - many times.  Like 'no family support' etc.  

On that topic you will come to the realization that this is your life/health and the only one who can get it under control is yourself...your family will get educated along the way...they may surprise you.  Also google VSG & you will find many articles - also there are a number of other weight loss surgeries available - enjoy the homework and keep reading here, you will get a good feel for the "lifestyle".

Good luck on your journey with whatever you decide.

cappy11448
on 7/6/15 5:45 am

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it as informative and supportive as I have.

Weight loss surgery really works.  Its not magic.  You have to follow the program, but if you do, you will be successful.  I like to say, Weight loss surgery doesn't make it easy, but it makes it possible. 

Best of luck on your journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 7/6/15 6:02 am

My insurance company also wanted "documented" evidence of previous WL attempts. I just listed the various plans I had tried and the approximate years. This satisfied their requirement. If your company wants more, ask your PCP to write a letter stating that you have attempted WL on your own for many years. 

Many insurance plans want you to attend 6 consecutive monthly nutrition education/counseling sessions before surgery. There probably isn't much they can tell you that you don't already know, although their post-op info is very useful. I suspect insurance companies have this requirement to weed out anyone who isn't fully committed to surgery and the immense life-style change it involves. If you decide this surgery is for you, start scheduling as soon as you can.

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Gwen M.
on 7/6/15 6:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you haven't already, I recommend calling the phone number on your insurance card and asking what they cover and what they require.  Also find out which surgeons in the area are approved for your insurance. That should give you a good idea of what steps you need to take and where to start!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

T2011mommy2b
on 7/6/15 1:26 pm

thanks everyone. I will get on it asap I'm excited about this choice. And hope my insurance and family physician work with me to get it done. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views