Had surgery last monday

LeinCA
on 7/2/15 9:02 am

I had surgery last monday and today is the first day I am not nauseous, yesterday I was able to drink 16 oz over the 24 hours.  Would you try the protein drinks next or broth?  I was a bit diheartened that the scale didn't move.

mmsmom
on 7/2/15 9:51 am - Woburn, MA

have you asked for anti-nausea meds?  it is important to stay hydrated - the protein can wait.... maybe some gatorade and as much water as you can stand

VSG on 04/28/2014

LeinCA
on 7/2/15 7:43 pm

Thank you I am concentration on the fluids.  I had had a hard time keeping fluids down with the nausea medication but today is much better.  Thank you for responding

Tracy D.
on 7/2/15 3:36 am, edited 7/2/15 5:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The scale right now is the very least of your worries, or should be.  16 oz. of water isn't enough over 24 hours.  You are in danger of serious dehydration that will put you right back in the hospital.  

If you have a choice between a protein shake and broth, always go for the protein.  But in the meantime, get on some anti-nausea meds so you can drink more.  I can't emphasize enough how important this is.  We've had people on these boards with life-threatening complications because they didn't drink enough. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

LeinCA
on 7/2/15 7:39 pm

My stomach is feeling better and I am increasing my fluids.  Thank you

gwen41539
on 7/2/15 1:37 pm - kimper, KY

How.about unflavored protein powder in your broth I'm going that route if all.else.fails and I can't.do shakes and you must vet more fluids 16oz is nothing 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

LeinCA
on 7/2/15 7:40 pm

the unflavored protein powder is a great idea.  Thank you

psychoticparrot
on 7/2/15 7:13 pm

Congrats on getting through your surgery safely. 

Believe me, you MUST drink more liquid daily than 16 ounces. During the first 3 weeks after my surgery, I just couldn't manage much liquid. I wasn't severely nauseated, just a bit queasy, and couldn't take in anything near recommended amount. I woke up one night with a high fever. Husband rushed me to the ER, where the docs found I was severely dehydrated and had a life-threatening kidney infection. 

This kind of problem sneaks up on you, even though you don't feel nauseated. Call your surgeon immediately and ask (demand, if necessary) an anti-nausea medication like Zofran to settle your stomach and allow you to drink more liquid. This is essential for your health!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

LeinCA
on 7/2/15 7:37 pm

Thank you. This is the first day liquid is staying down and I have been taking anti nausea medicine.  I am trying to increase the liquids and will continue especially after reading your reply.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views