was your gallbladder removed TOO?

gwen41539
on 7/3/15 3:08 pm, edited 7/3/15 3:11 pm - kimper, KY

My surgeon said he would look at mine if he saw stones or disease he would remove it also .....Im scared it will add to my pain and  recovery time...gallbladder removal is bad enough but both at once will be more painful won't it? And after removing it will I have any issues eatting certain foods? 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

ChubbyHubby82
on 7/3/15 8:46 am
VSG on 07/06/15

They found stones in my gallbladder during pre-admission testing. Doc said it will more than likely come out. Would like to know about foods too.

mickeymantle
on 7/3/15 4:24 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is common to have them both done at the same time also most of us have a hernia even if it does not show in the endoscope and they usually will fix that at the same time , might be slightly more pain but most of the pain is from the gas they pump you full of and that is the same for doing both at the same time

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/15 6:27 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Honestly, you probably won't even notice a difference beyond if they just did the VSG. I had my gallbladder out when I was 18, then had RNY at 30, and the recoveries were almost identical, with most of the pain being from the incisions and from being pumped full of air. If they take yours out with your VSG, you'll just be spared having to be cut open and inflated twice.  The surgeon who took my gallbladder out warned me that really fatty meals might give me trouble, but I never had any problems short of eating two Arby's roast beef sandwiches giving me diarrhea, which I certainly won't be doing now anyway.

Sheilarae
on 7/4/15 9:11 pm

I had both VSG and gall bladder removal, I had an easier time with pain than another I knew who had just VSG. I didn't realize I was having gall bladder problems I had one attack about 10 yrs ago but had a very diseased GB and have actually realized I was having issues for years. Much better off without it!

Sheilarae  VSG 12/16/14 by Dr T. Kellogg  Mayo Clinic

HW 352, SW 317,  CW 298.5 (1/4/15)

natnat919
on 7/5/15 5:28 am

I had gall bladder and VSG on 6/22...... I've never had to take any pain meds at all, so that wasn't a factor for me.  Start Pureed stage on Monday, so not sure about foods yet.  My understanding is that it's much better to have it out now than to face the pain later.  Supposedly if you don't have stones already, you'll get them after VSG.............better take it out at the same time

Valerie G.
on 7/6/15 10:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Think of it as only one recovery instead of two.  If he removes both at the same time, then you only have to recover once -- WIN

Seriously though, so many wind up getting theirs removed after only a year or so (or even less), so if you have an opportunity to lose it now...DO IT

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views