12 Days of Post Op (update)

Cardamom
on 8/1/15 6:05 pm
with

So since I am 12 days out, I figured I would share 12 notions:  things I've learned, things you all told me (and maybe I didn't believe you at first but now I do!), and a couple things I wish I had known.  Especially for those of you with surgeries coming up

1. I lost most of my voice due to the anesthesia.  It was so frustrating!  it has since come back most of the way.. I just wasn't prepared for it

2. the immediate post op recovery room with everyone else behind curtains can be a bit disturbing.  Everyone was moaning and groaning.  Not cool.  The stretcher or whatever they have you on immediately after was sooo not comfortable, but it was nice (albeit a bit painful) to move to the hospital bed.  

3. Back pain.. Yikes!  i am not sure if it was from being manhandled during the procedure or if it was just from the uncomfortable beds, or maybe from not wearing a bra for a few days, but holy mackerel!  it really bugged me fore the first week

4. Cough..  I'm not a smoker and had no health issues coming in.  i think i picked up a cough from the anesthesia? or maybe too much laying down?  either way, it took a little over a week to subside.  definitely stole a pillow from the hospital to hold over my incisions for coughs.  Went to go see TrainWreck on day 5 and it was PAINFULLY funny ;-) 

5.  The dreaded leak test..  So right before they came to take me away for the test a special bariatric nurse came into my room to talk to me.  1 - she said it will taste awful (like windex to me..) 2- I was able to ask for an anti nausea med prior to so I wouldn't get sick (pretty sure this saved me)  3- she said sip it, don't gulp it no matter what they say. That was brilliant!  4 - bring a pillow to hold over incisions to help you sit up and get out of bed

6. hospital walks - piece of cake..  its the getting unhooked from all of the contraptions that is more of a deterrent.  Thank goodness my husband got pretty good at it, and I had a few very understanding and patient nurses that helped out (night time is usually quieter and better).  They have the IV, the oxygen, the leg squeezers, then you have to get a robe on and slippers.  blech.  Walks are a great opportunity to have them change your linens on the bed!

7. drinking..  this was incredibly uncomfortable for the first 8-9 days.  then all of a sudden it was much easier!  I swear I got dehydrated on days 6 and 7.  my kidneys were starting to hurt, but got through it!  

8. Flying...  I traveled out of state for my procedure.  Did you know that airlines often have disabled seats available?  you can even reserve them in advance.  unfortunately i had no clue until i checked it, so it was either sit by myself in an extra legroom seat next to window, or keep my aisle seat opposite my husband.  I chose husband and aisle so i could get up and walk.  Didn't plan on flight delay - might have been really cranky.  Sorry!  

9. Energy Level - I am a pretty active person.  I was not prepared for feeling so drained all the time.  I know you all have warned me, it's just been very draining.  Day 6 I went to the grocery store and was leaning heavily on the cart after 15 min or so.  Between that and not being able to pick up more than 10lbs.  I had 2 things in each bag.  (Don't worry, we recycled them!)

10. Nourishment!!!  Wow, Unjury chicken soup protein is so savory and so so good!  I ordered a few of their packets online from the hospital, so they were in my mailbox by the time I got home.  between the warmth and the salt - I was in heaven!!!  It was so good that my kid kept stealing sips from me haha  I would recommend.  My meal plan is very different from a lot of them on here.  We can do soft solids from day 3 through 3 weeks.  I did liquids for the first week just because i didn't feel ready for solids.  Once I was able to get all of my required liquids in, i started to experiment.  Started with yogurt, did great!  The next day I had 2 oz tuna with mayo.  hit me like a ton of bricks.  All of my energy disappeared and I got stuck at the kitchen table for 40 min.  Then I felt better.  Since then, I've had some eggs (1 egg scrambled with milk to make it fluffy), fish(not a huge fan but trying..) and chicken (chewed up really really well).  Focusing heavily on my liquids, protein, then meals if there is still room.  I feel like when I eat chicken I am able to eat more than 2oz.  the more energy i get, the more i'm looking forward to experimenting with new foods

11.  time off of work - I ended up getting approved for 4 weeks.  wow, I can't even imagine going back sooner.  I feel like my entire day is focused around food and liquids.  It's hard to focus on other things and i'm easily exhausted.  this coming week (week 3) will be all about the routine!  

12.  THANK YOU!!!  Honest to goodness, these message boards have been a lifesaver!  all of your questions and comments have saved me numerous trips/calls to the doctor, they have calmed the crazy inside me, they've made me feel normal, accepted and so comfortable putting questions out there (even if they've been asked already, even if they seem dumb, even if they may be TMI).  IT'S ALL GOOD!  Everyone is so positive!!  You've inspired me to find a support group in CT, where I live.  Thank you Thank you Thank you times a 100!  

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

sbg224
on 8/1/15 7:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, it was very good to read.  My time is coming, this Monday, getting so nervous and excited.  Hope you have a speedy recovery, sounds like you are on your way.

Cardamom
on 8/4/15 8:38 am
with

don't forget to let us know how you make out!!  

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 5:47 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Thank you for the post! Hope you're continuing to feel better. I wish I had 4 weeks off from work! I get sleeved on 8/15 and was able to use 2 sick days for 8/17-18, and then I'm right back to work. I'm worried about being tired since I manage a hospital and it can be very busy and stressful, but I plan to try to stick mostly to desk wor****il the following week when I can get more involved. 

Keep us updated on your recovery and progress. We are about the same starting weight with a similar goal.... :) and I'll have to order some of that unjury chicken soup! 

Cardamom
on 8/4/15 8:37 am
with

It will be tough, but you'll be able to do it.  don't forget to either download an app or put reminders in your calendar or phone to drink.  One of the things I would worry about is getting caught up in work so much that you don't get all your fluids in during the day.  Best of wishes for you!!!  

Most Active