Potential candidate for Sleeve surgery?

heart_healthy
on 8/30/15 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have recently come to the difficult/scary decision that bariatric surgery might be the right avenue for me at this point.  A little medical history on me.  I am a 43 year old male with a long history with heart disease, hypercholesterolemia runs in my family and I had my first issue at the age of 28 that required me to have a stent placed in my heart.  When I was 32 I ended up having a triple bypass and just 3 years ago one of the bypass grafts had closed which necessitated another stent placement which nearly killed me.  My maximum weight has never climbed beyond 245lbs which put me at around a 37 bmi.  I recently lost 50 lbs but have now put most of it back on (very disheartening).  I currently sit at 232 lbs or a bmi of just over 35.  I obviously have some very serious comorbidities and I feel the surgery may substantially prolong my life as well as improve the quality of same.  I have an appointment with my gp in a couple of days and plan to discuss with him.  My family is not very supportive as they worry about complications during and post surgery but I feel it is an avenue that i should check into for my future.  I was wondering what advice anyone might have as it relates to the health system here in British Columbia and the likelihood of me qualifying via our medical system and wait times etc..  I can afford to self pay if necessary but due to my heart issues I would prefer to do the self pay in Canada as a heart complication would be better handled here at home. 

Any advice?

Thanks

Jarod

Debbie_04
on 8/30/15 9:18 pm
VSG on 12/29/14

Jarod.  Good luck on your journey.  There is a forum listed for British Columbia, there you might find answers to your questions regarding the Canadian health systems.  

Debbie

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

mickeymantle
on 8/30/15 10:42 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

talk to you cardiologist, have him/her talk the the bariatic surgeon 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

psychoticparrot
on 8/30/15 10:07 pm, edited 8/30/15 10:09 pm

My husband is also considering the surgery, but, like you, is worried about potential problems with his heart. His heart disease is not as complicated as yours. He's in his mid 60s and had a stent placed in the "widowmaker" artery (left anterior descending?) in his heart last year. His heart surgeon is going to test him in September to see if he can go off Plavix long enough to have the surgery done. Other than commiserating with your dilemma, I have nothing else to offer. Like your family, I am very worried about my husband should he decide to go ahead with the surgery. I understand their worries, but I also understand that the decision is his, so I'll support him no matter what he decides. It helps that I've already had the sleeve surgery, and I know how much it can do. I've gotten off three of my meds so far, an cut another in half.

We live in the States, so I can't help you with any advice about the Canadian health system either, but I wish you the best in your endeavors.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

KRS2014
on 8/31/15 8:48 am
with

I have heard that there is a doctor in Montreal that does self pay but I don't know his name. Maybe join some Facebook Gastric Sleeve groups and ask on there. There are tons to join and many of them would know the answer to that question. Best of Luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 62 views