REALLY struggling with post-op full liquid diet.

Jackrbailey72
on 10/4/15 1:19 pm

I am an new VSG'er and am 9 days post op. This is my first post and sorry to be whiny. I was on clear liquids pre-op for two weeks and have finished the clear stage post-op. I am 2 days into full liquids and I am struggling a LOT. Sweet turns my stomach and I am hitting a wall with soups, broth, etc. I am hungry and just frustrated. Can any of you give me some new ideas of what to eat in this stage or combinations of this to try? Thanks,

jack

KathyA999
on 10/4/15 1:53 pm

Yeah, it's a phase you just have to get thru. Try milk, liquid yogurts (although these are sweet, which you're struggling with). Chike makes a lovely protein-forward coffee drink you might try. You can also try different types of soups. In the full liquid stage they don't have to be clear broth type soups, just soup without chunks, so you can get any kind of soup your sleeve will tolerate (tomato soup for example), and if it has chunks just strain them out - mushroom soup is always popular. Also, did your surgeon's office give you a list of stuff you can eat at each phase?

If you're hungry it could be stomach acid masquerading as hunger pangs. Are you on a PPI? If not, see about starting on one, and if so, you may need to up your dosage or change to another one. I went thru four before finding one that seems to be working for me long-term. Immediately post-op my surgeon wanted me to crush my PPI and take it with a swallow of liquid. I did that for like a week before I was just disgusted with the taste of the crushed-up pill and started taking it whole. No problem.

Your hunger could also be thirst, believe it or not with all the liquids you're taking in. You're probably not getting enough because your capacity is very low due to post-op swelling. Try sipping more water in whatever form works for you (warm, cold, Crystal Lite, whatever).

This too shall pass - just keep on keeping on! :-)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jackrbailey72
on 10/4/15 2:11 pm

Kathy,

Yes, my surgeon gave me a list of foods, and I am following them, but just am sick of the sweet and the monotony. Thank you for the post. I am not on a PPI, but see the doctor on Tuesday. I will add that to my list. Thank you. I am going to try and find some soups that are different. Thank you again. This too shall pass.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/4/15 2:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The hardest time I had was about two weeks postop. I was at my hungriest then. A lot of that is in our heads. Hey, at that point it's been about a month since we ate anything solid.

Before you know it, this will be just a vague memory. Just hunker down, and you'll get through it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jackrbailey72
on 10/4/15 5:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. More than you know

psychoticparrot
on 10/4/15 3:28 pm

At 9 days post-op, meeting your protein goals is pretty hard. And those **** shakes!. I was sick of them even before the surgery. It's more important at this point to make sure you're drinking enough water than to hit the protein requirement. Don't worry too much if you can't quite get in enough protein. Just keep trying, and as you heal, it will get easier. Don't be tempted by crackers or other easy-to-eat carbs. You're in the most difficult phase in the whole sleeve process. It makes the surgery itself seem like a breeze, doesn't it? Just keep trying; in a few weeks you'll soon be out of that dark phase and back into the light.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Jackrbailey72
on 10/4/15 5:05 pm

PP,

the surgery was a breeze. I am healing VERY well and have no pain inside or at the sites since day 4. Yes...this stage is wearing on me. I've been on liquids for awhile now. Thanks for yours and the others encouragement. I know this is my time to heal the pouch and to get ready for solids, but good gracious it's tedious. Thanks again to you all.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views