4 days post op... Need advice

b3th2882
on 11/27/15 4:00 pm

Hi everyone! So I had my sleeve done this past Monday and it's been anything but pleasant since. I had to stay an extra night in the hospital because everything made me 'vomit' (dry heaves since there was nothing in my belly) and my belly is so swollen and sore I'm barely able to get up/sit down. Was everyone's belly super swollen? 

Other issues I want to run by you guys to see if it's normal - my back is killing me, maybe from bad posture caused from babying my belly? Did this happen to you?

im luckily getting fluids in, but am struggling with actually getting food in (stage 2), and am averaging 20-30 grams of protein a day from supplements. I'm worried I'm not getting enough in, but I can't imagine eating more at this point... Thoughts?

VSG Surgery date: 11/23/2015, 33yr F, HW: 278.2

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/15 4:32 pm

After 4 days most people are still on a  liquid diet. I wouldn't worry about any kind of food. I wasn't allowed any liquid (just ivs) till day two and on day 4 was still on clear liquids even if they were protein drinks. No sense in trying to get food in before you are ready especially if you are very swollen. Just keep trying to drink what you can. Sip...sip..sip. You can set a timer for every 15 mins to remind you to sip. Didn't have the back issue but it being form you posture due to the belly makes sense. Plus some of it might still be from gas stuck in there from the surgery. Try and get up and walk as much as you can.

Good luck with your recovery.

LS2dv8
on 11/27/15 4:47 pm

Hi!

I had back and shoulder pain post op. Walk as much as you can :) I also brought out my heating pad and it helped alot! 

LS2DV8

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/15 4:58 pm

Swelling is very normal and varies from person to person. Internal and external swelling can be intense for some people. 

Many people have back and shoulder pain after laproscopic surgery. Your belly is filled with CO2 so the surgeon can see what he/she is doing during surgery. Though they do their best to get the gas out of your abdominal cavity there is always some residual gas. The gas can cause shoulder (most common) and back and side pain. You could also have strained a muscle dry heaving. 

Drink 2 oz of liquid every 15 minutes of every waking hour. You will get you fluids in that way. Also, remember that your shakes count as liquid at this stage. I would try to get a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day. Don't worry about eating for nutrition yet since you are so swollen. Get your protein from shakes and use your mushy foods as a way to get your sleeve accommodating food. A bite or two at the most at this stage would seem okay to me. Protein comes from shakes at this point. 

Of course, I'm not a doctor and I'm not suggesting you follow my advice if it is contrary to your surgeon's. Just my take on your situation. 

Happy healing! 

Starlene02
on 11/27/15 9:04 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

Obviously you're going to hear a lot of everyone is different. As for me though, I was 2 weeks post op this past Wednesday. My doctor told me I have a smaller sleeve than most so I've kind of just went with how Ive felt instead of what everyone tells me is normal. Give your body time to heal. I'm still on a full liquid diet and I'm only hitting about 45 grams of protein a day and no where near hitting my fluid intake. I can only handle 1/4 of a cup at a time so it hasn't been easy for me. It's a process. I guess I'm lucky I haven't ended up in the hospital dehydrated in all honesty but all I can do is work on it. I can only sip so much before I feel like it's trying to come back up my throat! lol We'll figure it all out. Stick to it.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

KathyA999
on 11/27/15 11:52 pm

So at five days out, you need to focus on hydration more than anything, to keep out of the ER for dehydration; it doesn't take much to get dehydrated.  You can get along for a few weeks at lower protein levels, assuming you're not running a marathon anytime soon.  By about 30 days out, or sooner if it's comfortable, or later if it isn't, you can be looking at your 60 grams of protein.  (The one advantage of keeping up protein is that it does help your body heal from the surgery, so if you'd like to increase protein levels, up your shakes.)

You don't say what Stage 2 means in your surgeon's program, but I assume a Stage 2 progression at five days is what your program recommends, but regardless, if you're struggling, step it back.  You don't have to progress through the various stages on any kind of deadline, just go with what feels comfortable for your new tummy.  And concentrate on those fluids (which as others have said, your protein shakes count toward). 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

PoodleMom1962
on 11/28/15 8:22 pm

I also had VSG on Monday 11/23 and had some serious back and shoulder pain. Last night I got a chair massage from a great massage therapist. We put a pillow in front of my tummy & I found the chair very comfortable. Shoulder and back pain is almost gone. I'm on clear liquids til 1st post-op visit on 12/3 but was told I could add protein shakes if I was feeling weak. Past 2 days I've had 1/2 c of PS in morning and evening, so that's 20gms of protein for me a day, along w/lots of other fluid - water, tea, broth, no sugar added frozen fruit pops, did I mention water. Hope it's not too gross to say I'm checking the color of my pee every time. Getting comfortable in bed has been a challenge but now I'm off pain meds and just on Tylenol.

I have not had the swelling you are talking about. I hope it gets better for you soon. When do you see your doc again?

All best - 

Kelli

CALINATE
on 11/30/15 12:08 pm - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

OK so I had my surgery on Nov 17.  I also had a lot of complications. My blood pressure kept sky rocketing and I also could not keep anything down.  Came home on day 2. Could not get fluid or protein in.  I am only now able to get my fluid in. I take a swallow of whatever liquid I have every 5 minutes if I can. Don't over do it because if I take one extra swallow than I should I experience severe pain and vomiting. Am usually able to get one shake a day in. Talked to Dr and he said at this point it is normal and not to worry about it. Just keep going the way I am. I had such severe back pain that I still have not been able to lay in my bed. It feels like my stomach is ripping apart if I try. Thank God for my recliner. I get up at least once an hour and walk for 10 minutes. More if I'm able. I have lost 15 pounds since surgery. I thought for sure it would be more but I am also still swollen. My doctor says all this is normal. Some of this I wish someone had told me before the surgery. It definitely would have played into my decision. But good luck

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views