HELP WITH CALORIES AND POSSIBLE IDEAS FOR MEAL PLAN

shutterfly
on 2/6/16 11:47 am - vancouver, Canada

I'm 1.5 years out and am curious how many calories people are at (still wanting to loose) and what are you eating in a typical day?

I feel stuck and sedentary.

Thanks!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/6/16 12:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are as many answers as there are people. But a general rule of thumb, if you want the scale to move, is to drop to 900 calories a day. That should lose about a pound a week.

But you have to KNOW that's how much you are eating. Weigh your food, and track every bite. It's not easy, but it's doable.

As for being sedentary, consider a fitness tracker. I use a fitbit, and it really motivates me to keep moving.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

psychoticparrot
on 2/6/16 12:52 pm

I'm one year post-op, have lost 114 pounds with 41 pounds to go to reach goal. My weight loss has slowed way down to about 1.5 pounds a week. I have found that to keep losing weight at all, I have to limit my calories to about 700 a day. I expect that by the time I reach goal, I'll still need to eat 700 calories/day just to maintain. I plan to eat the way I'm eating now for the rest of my life.

I like to eat a variety of healthy foods, so I don't really have a "typical" day, but I'll try to approximate one -- 

B: Coffee w/almond milk, small portion fresh fruit (I've never been a breakfast person, even as a child. When I eat breakfast, I find I'm hungrier throughout the day and tend to eat too much).

L: 2 scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup of a non-starchy vegetable (with the exception of sweet potatoes, which I believe are extremely healthy despite their carbs. I microwave them and just peel and place a small portion on my plate next to my protein. I've never found that eating them increases my carb cravings),

D: 3 ounces fish, broiled, sauteed, grilled or steamed; another non-starchy vegetable or small salad (by non-starchy vegetable, I mean kale, green beans, snow peas, mushrooms, radishes, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, onions, celery, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, arugula, spinach, lettuces, tomatoes, scallions, eggplant, green peppers, hot peppers, ad infinitum). None or very tiny portions (I'm talking 1-2 small bites) of white potato, rice, pasta, or noodles. You're probably already aware of all this, but, since you asked, I want to be thorough!

S1: My daily allotment of gummy vitamins, a calcium tablet and a chewable iron tablet. I make a cup of unsweetened black coffee and sip slowly while eating my delicious gummies one as a time. Takes half an hour and feels like I've eaten a full meal when I'm done. I take this "snack" around 4pm when I start getting hungry but it's too early for dinner.

S2: If needed, I eat more fresh fruit or 2 prunes nightly until problem is resolved. 

My other proteins, besides eggs and seafood, in order of preference are: chicken, tofu, beans, pork, beef.

For 8 months post-op, I was very sedentary. Then, in November, I began to walk daily and found I enjoy it. The distance varies between 1-3 miles daily. When I have access to a pool, I swim 1/2 hour a day too. I'm not too big on measuring distances, times, and intensity. For me, being moderately active is enough to make me feel healthy. At 64 years old, I'm not looking to enter a triathlon.

It's hard to get out of a rut. I wish you success in getting back into weight-loss mode and finding an exercise that you like and can do daily.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Neonanrs
on 2/7/16 5:42 am

Just a question? Are you getting 60 grams of protein?

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

psychoticparrot
on 2/7/16 7:18 am

No. It's my personal opinion that 60 grams of protein are too much for a woman my size (5'1"). I usually get in about 40-45 grams, which I think is enough for me. My opinion comes from the book, "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success" by Duc Vuong M.D. I'm definitely in the minority with this opinion, though.

psychoticparrot

Neonanrs
on 2/7/16 12:09 pm

Thank you for the information, I am only 5'1 as well.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

Laura in Texas
on 2/7/16 5:43 pm

I love Dr. Vuong!! I think he is awesome!! My surgeon also says we do not need that much protein.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Jevelynne
on 2/7/16 5:32 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

I personally have noticed that if I get my 60 or more proteins per day, I lose more weight per week. I am 5' 3. That could just be my body though.

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views