1 week post op

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 1:58 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Hey I had my VSG done 4.15.16 so today is a full week post op. I'm having trouble getting in all 60 grams of protein and all my fluids. I really want to eat something semisolid but afraid, so I rarely eat at all. I know this is not good but I'm sick to death of soup, jello, sf Popsicles,  shakes and drinking period. Any suggestions?

White Dove
on 4/22/16 2:03 pm - Warren, OH

Your body will burn stored fat for food until you are able to eat more food.  You will be fine.  If your plan allows, try a very small amount of soft food.  I started with about an ounce at a time and it was about three weeks before I could eat without pain.  Do get in all of your liquids to prevent dehydration.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 3:28 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Thanks, I'm definitely trying to keep hydrated. 

luvmypuggies
on 4/22/16 2:16 pm

Just work into food when you feel ready, but try to drink as much water as you can (and your protein shake).  The post-op diets vary by doctor, but many of us were on clear fluids for the first week, full fluids the second week, pureed food the third week, and finally soft food the fourth week.  My point is that many of us went a long time before eating anything remotely solid, and we survived just fine, so take your time. :)

There is a blog called The World According to EggFace that's fantastic for post-op suggestions and recipes for all phases of post-surgery life.  I think Shelly (the blogger) also posts on this board now and then, so maybe try a search. Her ricotta bake is super yummy, and I still make it now and then (never any leftovers - family gobbles it down before it's completely cooled off!).

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 3:29 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Thanks so much, I will definitely look into the site. 

Allie16
on 4/22/16 3:16 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Hi,

My surgery was the 14th and I got moved to full liguids today. Got to try some greek yogurt that I watered down a but with milk. Ate about 2 T very slowly and so far so good. I could no longer tolerate any of the sweet stuff so happy to be able to try something else. Good news, I lost 14 lbs since the surgery so happy about that. Slow and steady, just keep reminding myself its uphill from here.

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 3:30 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Thanks this was very helpful

seabexlose
on 4/22/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I'm right there with you.  My surgery was 4/12 and I'm looking forward to moving up to soft foods on Tuesday.  It's nothing but determination that is keeping me going at this point.  I'm tired of shakes and fantasizing about eating a scrambled egg or ricotta bake.  I'm trying to remember that it's just another hurdle at this point, and it's within reach.  It is nice seeing the pounds come off so quickly at this point, and I'm sure once semi-solid food is worked back in, it will slow a bit.

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 4:41 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

That's all very true. I'm counting down the days for next Friday

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 139 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 405 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 434 views