1 mo surgiversary

Darcy G.
on 5/6/16 9:07 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Hey y'all :)

So, I thought I'd give an official wrap up about the past month for me. Some of it's not pretty, but it does end on a positive note.

Stats:

• 28 pounds lost since April 7.
  • 89 since I started the program
  • 119 since my heaviest
  • 13/30 days in the hospital...
  • 2 other trips for IV fluids
  • C.Diff... Bleeding... Blah blah blah

Today, after speaking with the lovely happyteacher, I got my surgeon on the horn and got my PPI changed back to what I'd taken before surgery for my mild-moderate GERD. Today was like night and day compared to the past month. Thursday morning I woke up vomiting bile on myself. Then did it again that night. Didn't realize I had acid issues until then really. I just thought that Rupert(my stomach) was so swollen it never wanted anything put into it, but the combination of the acid and some medicines for nausea and IBS(which I needed in the wake of the C.Diff) were causing creepingly slow gastric emptying. Everything I put in there, stayed for hours and hours and hours, or until I threw up. Which was the biggest obstacle in getting food/liquids into me. 

So, switched to omeprazole, stopped taking the nausea and IBS medicine... and actually got hungry today. Like stomach growling hungry(which the doctor told me was okay to have, it wasn't unheard of after surgery even when acid was controlled), and that's terribly unpleasant--worse than pre-surgery and I'm thinking because of the whole... raw wounded Rupert thing... The protein shake I put into my belly this morning was gone within a couple hours.  The Modified Ricotta Bake I made this evening(egg allergy) was delicious and didn't hurt AT ALL. Hallelujah!

The spiced apple tea isn't as delicious to me as it was, so I'm still trying to get something in besides water--which Rupert refuses to entertain. I want to try regular iced tea--which I used to drink all the time--but my surgeon/nut's plans always said no caffeine, and the decaf tea just isn't working for me. So I'm wondering... how long before y'all were allowed to have caffeine? I don't do coffee, and this would probably be like... 2 tea bags per day levels... but ... it's some.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

happyteacher
on 5/7/16 8:50 am

The hunger/growly Rupert syndrome really sounds like continued acid issues. I would get like that, and that is exactly what would cue me to start the PPI. You may need a stronger dose in other words. So glad to read though that it seems to have really helped! I did caffeine within a month. Not a mother load, but some. I wouldn't blink an eye about the tea thing you posted, but as always go with what the docs say. Great job on the weight loss so far and some how managing to keep a stellar attitude after everything you have been through!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Darcy G.
on 5/7/16 8:28 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I did actually bring that up to the surgeon, and he said no. He said that if I was meeting my daily protein goals and I was still having this problem, I'll need to revisit it, but that some people don't get that magical 'not hungry anymore' side effect to surgery. Which? Sucks.

I'm working on getting that protein up now, because I go back a week from Monday and if I have my protein up in range and I'm still getting it, I'm going to revisit that conversation. Growling hunger pangs when it's not yet healed? Unpleasant... at best.

And thank you. The positive attitude is getting easier again. I think that this week was my regret week... but since things are turning around finally, I'm starting to see hope on the horizon!

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

yvonnef1964
on 5/7/16 5:50 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Glad you are feeling better. You been thru the ringer and kept  positive attitude. . That is so inspiring to me. Congrats on the weightloss.

Darcy G.
on 5/7/16 8:31 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Thank you :) When you're in the thick of it, having a break down(no matter how deserved) really doesn't help anything. I've been trying to make the best of things.

I'm also always afraid I'll scare people, but at the same time... I do really believe that being prepared for bad stuff that can happen is better than being blind-sided by it!

Dee R.
on 5/9/16 11:17 am - CA

You have totally AMAZED me!!!  This past month has been hell for you and you still have that lovely attitude!  I honestly don't think I could have handled it anywhere near as well as you have.  Happy to see you're feeling better, for the most part. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views