When will I be able to drink properly again?

rosethorn
on 6/24/16 2:43 pm
VSG on 06/20/16

I just had my sleeve on Monday June 20th, and I still can't drink more than the tiniest sip at a time. I'm pretty sure I'm hydrated enough, my lips aren't chapped, no dry mouth, skin or dizziness but I feel like I'm chained to my water bottle, having to sip every other minute! It takes me about four hours to get through a protein shake and taking pills huuuurrrts. When do things 'loosen up'?

White Dove
on 6/24/16 2:46 pm - Warren, OH

When the swelling in your sleeve goes down.  It took me about two weeks to drink normally again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TimeToHealRich2016
on 6/24/16 2:51 pm - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Can't advise based on experience yet since my VSG is July 11....but let your Dr. know about the pills.  My Dr. has me readying for crushable medications and taking them slow with water to follow.  Your protein shake experience doesn't sound out of line (read that some people dislike the taste).  Make sure you get enough fluids so you get not only hydration for your vital organs but also hydration for your stomach to heal.  Stay in touch.  Rich

chaplainJess
on 6/24/16 3:48 pm

my vsg was on june 15th. It takes me about an hour to finish an 8 oz protien shake. my biggest problem now is being sick of all the sweet. When i was in the first week and it took much longer, I would make 4 oz at a time to keep it fresh and cold. try changing up temperature. sometimes warm goes down easier than cold.

Linds9
on 6/24/16 5:51 pm
VSG on 01/19/16

I was not able to comfortably drink anything for about 3 weeks, I felt like I could feel every sip I took. Also I was unable to get anywhere near my 64oz of fluid until at least a month. The swelling of the sleeve really has an effect on drinking

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/16 8:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It is a gradual process. It will probably take 2 or 3 weeks to start drinking more or less normally. You'll get there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Courage2Enjoy
on 6/25/16 6:26 am
VSG on 04/28/16

For me it took me 4-5 weeks before I could get good drinks in without feeling like a huge air bubble was going down my throat.  You'll notice that you're taking more in and just try a little more at a time to gauge how much you think you can handle.  I am 8 weeks post op and I can drink my shake which is 11 oz in about an hour...it takes me long I think because it's thick and ever since the surgery they just don't taste the same to me.  Good luck and keep on sipping!

Nancydhu520
on 6/25/16 6:33 am
VSG on 06/07/16

I am three weeks out of having vsg surgery on June 7. Hang in there...each day gets a little better. This is your new normal for now. I keep my water bottle with me all the time and try to remember to sip and not gulp.

Nancydhu520
on 6/25/16 6:36 am
VSG on 06/07/16

I am three weeks out of having vsg surgery on June 7. Hang in there...each day gets a little better. This is your new normal for now. I keep my water bottle with me all the time and try to remember to sip and not gulp.

franklins1
on 6/25/16 9:34 am
VSG on 09/11/15

After 9 months, I still don't drink 64 ounces of water. That is not to say you shouldn't, but I finally decided that any liquid would help with the 64 oz. I did drink that before the surgery! Now I just can't. But what encouraged me to respond to your post was the pills. I didn't want to crush pills because they tasted so bad and others could not be crushed (time release or capsules). There are some liquid replacements for pills. I decided I would just take the pills (after all I am smarter than the doctors, LOL) One got stuck! I was panicked. I couldn't swallow, I couldn't stop the hiccups, it hurt, I had "foamys". Finally I had to stick my finger down my throat and force myself to vomit. I'd never done that before so I was afraid. The pill came up and all was better. I called the PA and told him what had happened. He told me I should not take any pills for at least 2 or 3 weeks. You must be very careful about swallowing anything that is not baby food consistency!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views