Revision

Cherylmarie1972
on 7/17/16 6:50 pm
VSG on 05/13/13

Has anyone had a sleeve revision? I'm scheduled for hernia repair revision July 25.  My sleeve has stretched some and I've gained some weight. I admit that I fell off the wagon and turned to some of my bad habits.  I need a kick in the a$$ to get back on track. Help!

califsleevin
on 7/17/16 9:59 pm - CA

Resleeves and revisions to other WLS are done at times, but what makes you think that your sleeve has stretched? Has it been imaged or are you just going on how much you can put through it?

A normal sleeve is very sensitive to the type of food you consume, with firm proteins (meats, etc.) being quite restricted (though maybe not as much as at the start,) with other foods that don't need much stomach processing, and hence closing off the pyloric valve, being much less restricted. Most particularly, what many refer to as "sliders" that slide right on through with minimal restriction are typically low nutrition, high calorie junk that can torpedo most any WLS.

Try going back to a meat intensive diet for a few days and see if that "restores" your restriction and brings your apparent capacity back in line - it's a much cheaper test than what the doctors can do and should be the first step in evaluating the problem.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 8:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I absolutely agree. For a half-joke, mostly-legit idea, you can try the Five Day Meat Test-- basically a few days of eating nothing but dense protein. You can reassure yourself that your sleeve works, go cold-turkey on bad habits, and see if you can get back on track.

If it's your habits that have slipped, a revision isn't going to do you any good, since you can still eat like crap after a second surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 7/18/16 4:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

it's perfectly normal for your sleeve to stretch over the years.....some....but never to the size of your original stomach.  I'm 11 yrs out from my DS, and I think my sleeve capacity went from the capacity of an egg to maybe the capacity of a soda can.  Compare that to the average stomach to be the size of a 2 liter bottle, and it's still significantly smaller than nature intended.  If you're still 100lbs overweight, then you may get a revision, but given the nature of the sleeve stretching, perhaps something along the lines of a DS would be a better option to help you long-term....or kick your new bad habits and get your ass back on track, like you said.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

happyteacher
on 7/18/16 8:41 am

I had a second hiatel hernia repair, and going into that surgery the doc said he might tighten it due to the upper gi showing it bieng pretty mishapen/stretched. I also gained a little during the period of time leading up to this. He found during surgery though once he put the stomach back where it belonged he did not need to revise or tighten in anyway. It was the hiatel hernia that was causing the issues. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views