Travelling after surgery

GAHP
on 9/29/16 8:15 pm

So your recovery was rough? I am trying to get an idea as to what to expect. I am meant to travel as well but mostly cause I have a super energetic 1.5 year old who is all about "mom" at the moment. I would like to be able to at least be around and not in bed all the time. Was your surgery laparoscopic or did you have any complications?

McLassie
on 9/27/16 10:08 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

You should be fine. I went on a road trip at 5 weeks post-op (by myself, drove the 5 hours myself, handled my luggage, etc). Food is obviously an issue at that point, but it was really the only issue. I looked at restaurant menus online before I decided where to go to make sure I could just get a cup of chili or something. I separated my belongings into smaller bags so it wouldn't be too much to carry at a time. I think you'll be okay.

JTomo08
on 9/28/16 1:32 am
VSG on 06/29/16

I had my surgery at the end of June.My neighbors spend the entire month of July at their cabin so I went up there for a weekend about 2.5 weeks after surgery. The road trip was easy...watching people eat was harder haha

Donna L.
on 9/28/16 12:05 pm, edited 9/28/16 5:05 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It really depends on you and how you feel.  I started driving 5 days after surgery, 1 hour drives, by my lonesome.  I started working a week later full time (40 hours) and then added my clinical internship on top of that two weeks later (30-40 hours more). Now, I'm not saying this was smart.  If I did it again I'd have taken 3-4 weeks off, honestly.  If I get a revision I will definitely take a month off.

It really depends on you and how you feel.  I think open surgery would be harder.  Just be careful with suitcases and the like; they can be way too heavy post-op for a while.  Again, that depends.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 9/28/16 1:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Being on the road won't be a problem as long as you aren't driving.  I only say this because so many fatigue easily for up to a good 8 weeks.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views