I'm Joining the Loser's Bench on 1/9/2017!

MzReckley
on 12/17/16 2:10 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

It seems like it's so far away!! 3 weeks and some change!! Ugh! I guess I should look at the bright side. I'm approved...I have a date and I have time to start preparing and prepping my foods and freezing them. Did anyone else do that? 

jachristmas
on 12/17/16 3:16 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Those last few weeks flew by so fast! I didn't prep and freeze any meals but I did buy a small variety of protein shakes, broth, jello, and Popsicles to try since my 1st 2 weeks are liquid only. I didn't stock too much of any one thing since I have heard from many ppl that your tastes can change after surgery. Good luck!

MzReckley
on 12/17/16 3:24 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Thank you! And thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about my tastes changing. Hmmmm.....I just don't want to be one of those people that are ill prepared. Plus I'm a planner and I know how I am. Convenience is key for me. Maybe I should make smaller portions. I'm just so confused and excited at the same time. ?

Anita
on 12/17/16 7:24 pm

It may seem like a lifetime away, but before you know it, you'll be saying....where did that three weeks go???

I made a big pot of chicken soup (that's what we Jewish Mother's seem to do pretty often). I froze lots of clear broth...I get the sandwich size zip lock bags and freeze them flat so that I can stack them up. In the beginning, each bag held enough broth for a day or so. I also froze some broth in small containers that had some of the chicken in it so that I was prepared for when I got to the next stages. When I was on purees, I simply put the chicken in the Magic Bullet along with some of the broth. I also got in a supply of sugar free ice pops.

Yes, it appears that most people have had issues with tastes changing, but it eventually passes or at least we seem to get used to the new reaction of our taste buds. For me, I couldn't bear the taste of plain water for the longest time...and this was a real issue for me as I have always been a big water drinker....64 oz a day was never a problem for me. I relied on Diet Snapple (diluted) and some Crystal Lite along with a few others. Lots of people recommend Mio, but I wasn't wild about it at that time...I'll try it again now that I'm back to normal.

Don't purchase too much of any one particular type of protein drink or soup as you'll need to do trial and error til you figure out what works best for you. In the meanwhile, just keep looking forward to being a healthier new you.

Be sure to let us know when you get home so that we can officially welcome you to the Loser's Bench and also from now til January 8, come here with any questions or concerns you may have.

Best of everything on your journey.

Oh....and take "before" photos and measurements too.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

LostStar
on 12/18/16 4:53 am

That's genius--frozen sandwich sized bags of broth. I'm a huge maker of soups (pun possibly intended ;-D) and so I was wondering how to go about this when my time comes. Also, the pureed food has grossed me out, but to put the soup in a magic bullet doesn't seem so bad. Would be good for broccoli and cheese soup if that's on my available foods to eat.

Has anyone tried sugar free vitamin water?

MzReckley
on 12/17/16 9:48 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Thank you for all the advice! I'm sure i'll have MANY MORE qquestions before and after. ?

LostStar
on 12/18/16 4:53 am, edited 12/17/16 8:54 pm

Congratulations!! What an exciting time! If I may ask, when was your first consultation?

MzReckley
on 12/18/16 7:38 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

My first consultation was in June. My insurance (CIGNA) required a 3 month medically supervised diet. 

Bonkerz1
on 12/18/16 7:05 pm
VSG on 06/12/16

Congratulations. The time will fly by. I know mine did.  Yes I prepared two different types of broth. Plus stocked up on sugar free jello and other stuff I needed. Make sure you have some alpine tea or something similar.  Can't wait to follow your journey.

Jacquii

MzReckley
on 12/18/16 7:39 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Alpine tea? Never heard of it. What does it do? 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views