Back pain after eating solids

82much
on 1/18/17 6:19 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

Hi all!  I am 7 weeks post op.  Within the last two weeks I have been getting upper back pains, moslty on the left side under the shoulder blade area.  It is usually when having meat or more solid foods.  Just had a little mango, and it is hurting again.   I figure it has something to do with solids, but it has me a little concerened.

Anyone experience this?

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 6:26 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Yes, I had the same pain a few weeks earlier than your 7.  When I ate fish (cod) and chicken for the first time.  It felt like they got stuck and I had the same type of pain you are describing.  I stopped eating and walked around for a few minutes and the pain went away.  I also chewed a couple of Papaya Enzymes which can help to dissolve the food. Mango is fibrous so perhaps irritating you. 

Lipsticklady
on 1/19/17 7:01 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I had issues with solids for about 6 months.  There was no way I could eat fibrous foods at your stage in the game.  I was still on super soft foods with gravy or sauces to help them ease on down.  I wasn't allowed fruit at all for three or four months due to the carbs -- but that was MY doctor's advice.

Smaller bites?  Chew more?  I agree with the post above, I would take a bite, walk a lap around my living room, take a bite...  When things would get stuck, I would walk up and down the steps, too, to ease the irritation.

What solid proteins are working for you?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

82much
on 1/19/17 7:19 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I am going to go back to softer foods.  Had tuna for lunch yesterday and no problems... My surgeon told me at three weeks it was ok to try softer foods and to move on to what I tolerated.  He said the NUT would say two weeks at each stage but he says to move on to what is tolerated.

Abviously, I am not tolerating it as well, even though I try and chew until pureed.  And eating slowly, man isthat a God awful hard thing to do.  The moment I do not keep concious of eating slow, I will slip into shoveling into my mouth.  I am in the process of looking into finding a Psych that works with bariatric patients.  Thanks for your input, anyone else please feel free to chime in, as this is one of the most difficult things I face so far.

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 2:09 pm, edited 1/19/17 6:40 am
VSG on 10/31/16

When I experienced pain I was eating fast too.  I did what you did, went back to softer foods.  Chicken still irritates me unless it is cooked in the crockpot.  It was scary when I got it because it was something I hadn't experienced before so feeling for you.  I went to support group shortly after this happened and others agreed that it happened to them too.  Walking really helped.  

82much
on 1/19/17 7:06 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

Tuna, chicken, eggs, and cottage cheese are easy on me.  In fact most cheeses are good.  I've had imitation crab meat (which is really just processed fish) which works good.  

Until I hear back from my surgeon, I am going back to soft foods and my breakfast protein shake only.  I will post what the doc has to say.

Thanks!

82much
on 1/25/17 10:29 am
VSG on 11/28/16

Just got a response from the surgeon's nurse.

Surgeon's nurse responded and said "You may have gallstones or this could be related to the red meat as you have mentioned. You want to avoid processed foods high in fat and chew well. We can discuss this further during your 6 month follow up. If your symptoms worsen, please contact the nurse on call. Thank you for using my chart."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views