Embarrassing...

AggieMae
on 2/4/17 7:18 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Carter= FARTER cart= FART

auto correct is so prissy!

akindofmagick
on 2/5/17 6:17 am, edited 2/4/17 10:18 pm - MD

I have had a problem with excess gas since my sleeve surgery. I've tried all sorts of things: gasX, Beano, and generic aids. No joy. I've tried cutting foods out of my diet: for awhile I was sure it was my daily Premier protein shakes, but that wasn't it. I eliminated scrambled eggs, another regular staple. I also tried going gluten free - that didn't make a difference. 

I now focus on fiber, water, and using a daily stool softener, as since surgery I have had occasional issues with constipation due to the increase in protein (I was a starch+veggie consumer, and an OL vegetarian before surgery) which makes the gas worse. 

Using a sit-stand desk at work helps, I think. Keep moving, drink constantly, and practice Kugel muscle control.  You can also buy panty liners with activated charcoal in them to absorb toots. I haven't had to go that far, but I have researched it!!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

81kellograms
on 2/5/17 7:58 am
VSG on 12/01/16

I'm just a little over 2 months out and I can have some seriously explosive farts. DH is very impressed! Luckily, I can control them but it's kind of startling at times. I haven't been able to track it to the food I'm eating but it does seem to happen in conjunction with stomach gas.

47 years old, 5'7", highest weight: 320, surgery weight: 295, goal weight: 158

PostOp (4 months): 25lbs, 1M: 20lbs, 2M: 10lbs

jachristmas
on 2/5/17 2:39 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

After having my gallbladder out and now VSG I never trust a fart!

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/5/17 3:27 pm
I read through the posts-all the advice is good. Start an elimination diet- try to see if it's a food related reaction-Whey proteins always do it for me. Some protein shakes make me fart like a whoopie cushion....lol.

The one thing I notice that may be the "culprit" is the pain pills/problems with pooping. I can only speak for me, but even if I have a BM-if it doesn't all come out it makes me gassy. SO for example, I had a lower body lift and the pain pills caused me to become constipated. I took stuff to help me go to the bathroom, and it worked but it wasn't 100 percent effective. When I changed to advil- everything came and the gas went away.

Scott
rachelp
on 2/6/17 7:52 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I have a friend that was sleeved at the same time as me and she constantly farts. She said she is unable to burp so it all comes out in gas! Thank God I can burp hahaha because I burp a lot!! 

I hope you get your problem resolved. You are going to have to log every single thing you eat to try to figure out the source. And like mentioned above, it could be something as small as vitamins! 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

diane S.
on 2/7/17 11:42 am

Well DH and I have this joke. There is an old tape of a horse race and the horse that won was named "Hoof Hearted". Say that fast a couple of times.  So when one of us lets one rip, the other says "Hoof Hearted".

I always thought involuntary farting came with age and not vsg. But who knows. I have both.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views