Too much fat?

AggieMae
on 2/18/17 10:17 pm
VSG on 10/25/16
On February 19, 2017 at 12:56 AM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller wrote:

Yes, starvation mode is nonsense.

This is most true of people from European decent but there are many studies about genetics and Starvation Response. 

I am the daughter of a Holocaust survivor and I  am involved in a project mapping genetic changes in response to maternal starvation.

A paper about the lack of Starvation Response in women with Anorexia:

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v16/n6/full/mp201095a.html

An an interesting article about Starvation response between generations after experiencing famine:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/starvation-and-epigenetics-dna-c an-hold-memory-starvation-three-generations-and-now-297054

An an article about the "thrift" gene in northwest American natives:

http://www.anthropology.ua.edu/bindon/ant570/Papers/King/kin g.htm

Thought it was interesting, so I am passing it on.

Barbsleeved
on 2/19/17 5:11 pm
VSG on 08/22/14
On February 18, 2017 at 11:41 PM Pacific Time, Sammy_85 wrote:

My doctor says that starvation mode doesn't exist... that it has been scientifically disproven. He says the calorie intake varies by person but should be around 700-900. Once I'm in maintenance we'll gradually add in more calories but while I'm in weight loss mode, the smaller the number of calories the better (within reason, of course). Thanks!

I increased calories ever so slowly throughout my weight loss process until I was at around 1100 by the time I got to maintenence, then bumped them up to 1200-1300 to maintain. It always seemed to jump start my weight loss again, and I found it helped set my metabolic thermostat so I wasn't having to maintain on under 1000 calories without gaining for the rest of my life. So I respectfully disagree with your surgeon. I know a sleever who can maintain on 1600 calories because she continued to up her calories slowly throughout her losing phase, also. 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

califsleevin
on 2/18/17 7:19 pm - CA

While losing I never worried about fats or carbohydrates as both are very low assuming that calories are low enough to promote the desired weight loss and protein levels are appropriate to maintain body functions. With the remaining non-protein calories in my budget I strove to optimize nutrition to the extent possible which in retrospect meant that carbohydrate and fat calories were usually roughly split, though I certainly wanted to avoid the ketogenic carb levels as I couldn't afford the common side effects. In maintenance I keep the fats above 60g to promote proper absorption of the fat soluble vitamins and have no limits on carbohydrates (too much good nutrition gets lost by limiting them.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Donna L.
on 2/18/17 9:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Starvation mode is a myth, and the body really has no idea what a calorie is.  Food content matters more than calories in the long run, because food has a hormonal effect on weight gain and loss in addition to the energy mode.  I am not saying you should neglect to track calories - what I am saying is that even if you eat very low calorie diets, there are still benefits to limiting carbs and eating primarily protein and fat.  That's a tangent though...

Since we have a pyloric valve we should make the use of it, right?  Carbohydrate leaves the stomach quickly.  Protein does next.  Fat provides the highest satiety.  We are fullest the longest with fat.  It also spikes insulin the least out of all the macronutrients.  Protein needs insulin to be processed (we store protein as glucose) however fat requires basically none.  It will keep you fullest the longest, hormonally, and physiologically.

It's actually preferable for us to eat extra fat.  The body prefers it for fuel except for a few cells that are too small to have mitochondria.  Even most of the brain prefers fat as fuel, actually.  Health wise it will not cause you any issues, necessarily.  Several vitamins are also fat soluble, and so you should always take your vitamins with fat.

I only worry about my fat consumption when my protein drops too low.  I try to get at least 65-95g/day (my average is 80ish).  The majority of my calories are from fat after that.  

As long as the fats are healthy, and not trans fats, I would not worry too much.

Exercise is necessary for overall cardiovascular health, and it also helps with mood regulation, as well as extending longevity.  It doesn't help as much with weight loss, however I think all of us should exercise, at least minimally.  And, while most weight loss is diet related, exercising helps keep us mindful of our body and choosing healthy habits.

Have anxiety?  One of the best things to do is to exercise, to redirect the energy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

FuturePinUp
on 2/19/17 9:53 am

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I don't worry about fat content at all when I'm "on plan." Have you been checked for anything like a thyroid condition? It must be frustrating but I'd recommend just being patient and the scale will indeed move!

I'd also recommend getting an actual metabolic test done, if at all possible, where they check how many calories you burn at rest. Those online ones are too generalized. This is NOT typical, but at a year out I was eating and losing at like 1000-1200 calories a day. I still am losing at like 1400 a day - but I have a fast metabolism and burn like 1800 calories a day at rest. I got the test done at my endocrinologist's office (slow thyroid here).

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views