Twisted stomach? New doc? Miserable

Sofrustrated
on 4/27/17 5:59 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Hi,

I am a lapband to sleeve revision which was done in 2014. I never had luck with the lap band and the sleeve has shown to be the same. I recently went in to see my surgeon because I think the amount that I vomit is too much. Last Tuesday he did an upper GI scope and told me I had a twisted stomach and the way to fix this is by gastric bypass. I have no idea what happened but I have been so sick since the scope. At first I was just an upset stomach and diarrhea (sorry) which has progressed to the point that I can not eat or drink. The pain is horrible. I'm so miserable I don't know what to do. I saw my surgeon today and told him I didn't want to revise to the gastric bypass and he pretty much told me if I didn't then they couldn't help me. I asked for a copy of my scope report and it states I have a pouch and possible hiatial hernia. Nothing about a twisted stomach. I don't know what to think or what to do. I'm so sick and miserable I can't do anything. I'm living off of Zofran and Phenergan. I would appreciate any advice.

Gwen M.
on 4/27/17 7:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like it's time for a second opinion - either a bariatric surgeon or a GI doctor.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 4/28/17 3:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd get a second and third opinion. And from surgeons who have a lot of experience with revisions. Certainly not the one who did your original surgery.

If they all say you should revise to RNY, you can decline to follow their advice. You have every right. But you may be living in this constant misery you've been having, for whatever time you have left.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 4/28/17 3:33 am

Get a second opinion. I had a hiatel hernia prior to vsg that was repaired succussfully. A few years later, the hiatel hernia came back with a vengence and it was very very large. Same thing as you describe- vomiting, diarrea, nausea. (I also had my gallbladder quit during this period so some symptoms cross over.) Anyway, my surgeon was able to fix the hernia without revising to a bypass. He did explain it was a (much) higher risk surgery, but it was successful. He also said if it happens again the bypass will be my only option. It is worth a second opinion, but either way you are symptomatic enough that you will have to do something.

Short term would I found really helped was resting the digestive system. I would do a 100% liquid diet for 3-4 days. That would settle it down a bit. I did protein shakes and juiced veggies during that time. I feel for you and hope you are able to find a resolution soon.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 4/28/17 3:36 am

Oh and if you happen to be the in the Detroit area Chengelis did the revision. The CAT scan and upper gi showed the sleeve was really stretched out and he though the would have to tighten it up going into surgery. Once he put the stomach back where it belonged the sleeve shape was evident so he only had to fix the hernia.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

bursonc
on 4/28/17 8:18 am

I had lap band - with pouch that slipped through the band - fell over the side and would collect and hold parts of food eaten- where it would sit and rot (gross I know). I too was throwing up. Terrible pain. Only relief was if I laid down. Living off pain meds. Finally found a doctor that would do swallow test w/ dye and found the issue. Basically said that part of my stomach was dying and was turning gangrene. Said if I didn't have surgery immediately to remove band - I would die.

Make sure you are confident in the report. Can you get someone to do the dye test (like for a fill) and watch to see what happens.

Band was removed. Gained back weight - had sleeve done and have had great to good luck.

This is something you cannot leave alone. Your life is too important. But, make them show you what's happening so you can make an informed decision.

Best of luck. Will say a prayer for you.

Nura777
on 4/28/17 8:46 am

I will pray for you. You have to consider the quality of your life. It's clear that its been very difficult for you for a long time. It will most likely not get better, seek more medical advise. However of a revision is the only option, take it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views