Skin removal

LMTSC
on 5/28/17 11:46 am
VSG on 06/29/17

do most people who lose over 100lbs need skin removal surgery?

I can and I will

WATCH ME!

Mary Gee
on 5/28/17 12:17 pm, edited 5/28/17 5:17 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Not really. Lots of variables. Depends on age, weight lost, etc.

I'm sure you've seen My 600 Pound Life.....where they do skin removal.

But most of us need plastics, not skin removal per se. Me....I'm an old fart who lost and regained weight my entire life. The skin elasticity is gone. I have saggy boobs, a huge "apron", bat wings, flabby thighs, a turkey neck, bags under my eyes, etc. It is what it is! I've got to invest in some spanx!

Most insurance companies do not cover plastic surgery, so it's an out-of-pocket expense. Some will do a breast lift and/or panniculectomy if it's medically necessary and well documented. I'm hoping to qualify because I do have medical issues....but generally those surgeries are not considered until you've reached your goal and maintained your loss for about a year. Everything else...you're on your own.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

CC C.
on 5/28/17 12:36 pm, edited 5/28/17 5:37 am

Define "need"? I think there is a very small percentage of very large people who some would say need skin removal surgery, as in, they can't function day to day properly with the enormous amount of skin they are carrying in one or more areas.

Then there are those folks who want plastic surgery to remove the reminders of fatter days or to complete their transformation. It's expensive, so not everyone who wants it will get it.

Another group are those who have amazing skin elasticity and don't have much sagging at all. The lucky ones. This is also a smaller group, and sometimes younger or were not heavy for very long.

And lastly, there are those who don't want surgery. Maybe they don't want to go through the recovery or the expense. Or they are comfortable in their own skin, however much they might have. Or they feel clothes hide most of it, so why bother?

I might be missing a segment of the population, but it basically comes down to personal preference, finances, and genetic skin elasticity.

LMTSC
on 5/28/17 12:47 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I doubt I'll need a panniculectomy, I'm pretty tall and my fat is spread around more than hanging, but a friend told me I would deff need skin removal. I'm pretty sure she's basing THAT on another friends experience, however that other friend and I are not built the same. I've lost over 60lbs in the past and was fine, no sagging.

I can and I will

WATCH ME!

CC C.
on 5/28/17 1:07 pm

Yeah, this is not a subject on which I would pay any mind to what a friend tells you. Wait and see. And then wait some more - because there is sometimes a little improvement in the year or two after you lose the weight. At that point, then you'll know what is right for you.

Laura in Texas
on 5/28/17 2:14 pm

My estimate is roughly 80% of us who lose more than 100 pounds have enough loose skin to warrant plastic surgery. If you attend bariatric conferences, such as the OH conference you can draw your own conclusions.

I lost 200 pounds and had tons of loose skin. It did not hinder me in any way physically, but I did have plastic surgery to help me mentally.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gwen M.
on 5/28/17 3:04 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

"Need" is probably a subjective word here. How are you defining it?

I ask because I'm sure there are many people who would say I don't "need" reconstructive plastic surgeries. I have no physical or mental problems due to my excess skin. It's uncomfortable, and it prevents me from doing some of the things I want to do in life, but my quality of life doesn't suffer because of my excess skin. I've lost about 160 pounds.

So I think the answer is "it depends." It depends on the person in question and how you're defining "need."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 5/31/17 9:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

"Need" and "Want" are two different terms. It's realistic to expect loose skin. After reaching goal, you won't be looking like anything in the magazines, I'm afraid. The degree of loose skin depends on age, genetics and a little luck. No magical exercises, potions or creams exist to prevent or treat loose skin.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/31/17 11:59 am
VSG on 07/15/15

Need? Probably not. It depends on where the skin is and how it affects you.

The skin on my arms is preventing me from wearing clothes in the proper sizes if they have sleeves. I really want it gone but it doesn't cause me pain or discomfort.

The skin on my stomach hurts and I have to do a lot to make sure it doesn't cause me pain and issues.

My thighs are gross but I doubt I will spend the money to fix them, they don't bother me, and no one really needs to be looking at the tops of my thighs anyway.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 62 views