Cancer Survivor

diva4life
on 1/15/18 7:41 pm
I will be post op 6 years in May 2018 and I did not hit my goal weight nut very. I had a setback due to breast cancer but I am a SURVIVOR ?? However I'm left with a condition called lymphedema that restrict the amount of weights I can lift. I need some support from this group to help get back on track.

Diva4Life 
NANNY13
on 1/15/18 9:05 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

That is right! You are a survivor and an overcomer- meaning this will not hold you back either! You are not being left behind because you have already walked out the other end. I was researching lymphedema and found that they were suggesting gentle exercise. What did the dr. say to do? Is it effecting both arms or one? I do not want to suggest anything that goes against Dr.'s orders. We are all here for you and are rejoicing that you were one of the fortunate ones.

diva4life
on 1/17/18 6:45 pm
The physical therapist recommended cardio like the recumbent bike.

Diva4Life 
NANNY13
on 1/15/18 9:06 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

That is right! You are a survivor and an overcomer- meaning this will not hold you back either! You are not being left behind because you have already walked out the other end. I was researching lymphedema and found that they were suggesting gentle exercise. What did the dr. say to do? Is it effecting both arms or one? I do not want to suggest anything that goes against Dr.'s orders. We are all here for you and are rejoicing that you were one of the fortunate ones.

Gwen M.
on 1/16/18 6:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

In good news, not being able to lift heavy weights won't prevent you from reaching your goal. Weight loss is primarily diet and there are many other ways of exercising that will benefit your health. The first thing you should do is start measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, but yours might be slightly different:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diva4life
on 1/17/18 6:49 pm
i like those suggestions I'll try a couple and add more as time progress.

Diva4Life 
Nknerr
on 1/16/18 9:08 am
VBG on 12/07/17

Trust me, you are a SURVIVOR. Take it from someone who has survived thyroid, cervical and 2 bouts of colorectal cancer. I didn't think I would be able to lose weight, due to some issues I had following my 2nd bout of colorectal. I didn't miss work during my CA treatments, because we couldn't afford for me to take off of work. So, I went to work, came home and crashed! Subsequently, loss a lot of muscle mass and it became difficult for me to even walk at the grocery store. Now, 3 years later, I decided that I needed to do something to take care of myself. I have lost 80 lbs in 10 months and I'm happier. I'm nowhere near THEIR goal, but closer to my goal! Chin up! You will get there!

Harpediem
on 1/16/18 9:56 am

Yes you are a survivor and you will get there. Number 1, the jury is actually out about using arms muscles after breast cancer . Some studies show excercise such as swimming, even more vigorous excercise like rowing machines move the circulation in the arm as a whole and reduce swelling. Older studies suggest very little use of the arm.

however, for weight loss, the most important arm excercise to avoid is over-repetitive lifting of fork to mouth. Works every time.

diva4life
on 1/17/18 6:51 pm
That seems to be the hardest part ? but I'm getting much better.

Diva4Life 
mpattee
on 1/16/18 11:33 am
VSG on 11/29/17

I had lymphedema really bad a year ago. Also a year ago, I registered with my State (Minnesota) for medical cannabis treatment. After starting a regiment of CBDs and THC, my lymphedema reduced an estimated 2 inches within the first month. From February 2017 until September 2017, my lymphedema was gone and has been gone ever since. I know this is a very touchy subject, but I have to say that my cannabis treatment has had a profound affect on my physical condition.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views