Gerd anyone?

veggiegal10
on 5/22/18 7:51 am

I'm almost 9 years out of VSG surgery. Before surgery, I never had a problem. After the VSG I ended up having major GERD for several years. It was bad, even if I didn't drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages. Towards the end, I regularly woke up with heartburn. Not fun. I wrote about it here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5253655/Feeling-sorry- for-myself-some-venting-and-a-question-for/

and here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5269996/5+-Months-Post -Revision-AND-REFLUX-FREE-and-doing-a-happy/

Feel free to check those out. There's also discussion from other people there. Ultimately, as you'll see all my reflux problems were fixed with (1) the hiatal hernia repair; and (2) eliminating my dependence on PPIs. Now I really have no problems, unless I consume too much caffeine (typically late in the day), or really eat too much, in particular if I eat too late before going to bed. I still have and enjoy coffee every morning, often at least 16-20 oz. without a problem. Certainly manageable, and a far cry from the problems I was having.

I think, from the discussions and responses I've read, that you really shouldn't have a problem with GERD if (1) your sleeve is done properly; (2) you stick to the dietary guidelines (i.e. don't overeat, don't drink right after, etc). If you do develop it, it may also be temporary as your stomach heals and you get used to the new size, so I wouldn't stress if you have any problems shortly after. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer (or try to!).

Best of luck!

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

marisahopeful
on 5/22/18 1:04 pm - Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thank you so much for takong the time to write such an informative and detailed response. Lots to "digest". LOL.

I really want the surgery and my only option is the sleeve because of my prior conditon. I don't want to back out because of what might or might not happen. The surgeons at Humber River Hospital i Ontario, Canada are highly regarded so I do trust their expertise and skill. Hopfeully all will go well and this will not be an issue. If it is, I will have to deal with it. I am so tired of being overweight and the surgery is my best option at this point.

Again, thank you. Will post updates post-op!

Referred to HRRH: July 2017; Orientation: October 31, 2017; Surgeon Appointment and Blood work: December 14, 2017; SW, Dietician and RN: March 2018

SW: 306 lbs March 2017

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/18 9:10 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I didn't have any acid issues prior to surgery and had major GERD problems for about 9 months after surgery. Then, it slowly got better and I rarely have reflux now. If I eat high carb or lie down flat on a full stomach or don't eat anything for too many hours I can expect to get reflux, so I don't do those things. I drink apple cider vinegar regularly and I think that is helping as a preventative measure. When I do get reflux, lying on my left side usually fixes it quickly.

marisahopeful
on 5/26/18 10:26 am - Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thank you for your response. Great info and recommendations. I really appreciate it ;)

Referred to HRRH: July 2017; Orientation: October 31, 2017; Surgeon Appointment and Blood work: December 14, 2017; SW, Dietician and RN: March 2018

SW: 306 lbs March 2017

drea29
on 5/27/18 9:20 pm

I am 6 years post op. In November of last year I noticed I was having trouble with things I normally eat. The GERD became worse and i would wake in the night with acid in my throat and coughing. I had an endoscopy and was told to go and see my surgeon. They found severe GERD and a hernia.

My surgeon said there is nothing he can do except to revise to Bypass. I am currently taking 2 Protonix in the morning, 1 Randtidine in the afternoon and before bed. Tonight I am still burning.

I don't drink coffee, or any caffeinated drinks. Water and herb tea. My diet is now very bland as I try and eat things that won't make the symptoms worse.

I reluctantly scheduled the surgery but had to postpone as I cannot get time off of work. I used my FMLA in October for bilateral knee replacement.

My surgeon told me this is a pressure surgery and this can happen. Thought I was lucky being so far out.

I never wanted bypass surgery. I know I need it as things are not getting better.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views