Feeling sorry for myself...some venting (and a question for the VETS)

veggiegal10
on 4/29/14 8:28 am, edited 4/29/14 8:42 am

So I had VSG originally in 2009 and from the start I experienced GERD (acid reflux) which got worse over the years.  Taking a PPI became a daily thing (annoyance) but other than that I was happy with my choice and the size that my stomach "settled at" eventually. 

However, having become frustrated with being dependent on PPIs that worked less and less I sought out possible fixes/alternatives.  The surgeon I saw said the way my surgery was done when the procedure was first available as well as a hernia that I had developed had definitely led to the problems and with revision I would likely experience little to no acid reflux.  So, I went ahead. 

I'm a month out from the revision and not is the GERD definitely still there if I don't take a PPI (I use prilosec)...but I also am starting from scratch with tiny tiny meals and figuring out to get the fluids and protein in with a crazy active lifestyle ----- all of which I had figured out after close to 5 years.  And I will be stuck taking a damn antacid FOR.THE.REST.OF.MY.LIFE.   Not sure why but its been bothering me more now than it did the last 4+ years.  I think I feel like I've taken a major step BACKWARDS.  It didn't fix the one thing I hoped it would and it change the one thing I was happy with.  I'm also concerned that like before the PPIs may become less effective over time (and then what?).

So, yeah...bleh.  Really struggling the last few days (with heartburn and my choice).  Wishing someone had told me I'd have heartburn every day for the next 60+ years without meds (and sometime even WITH meds).  I know there are people out there dealing with a lot worse but I wish could undue this whole thing....Pity party, table for 1. 

Any veteran VSG-ers out there find ways to reduce dependence on the antacids?  Anyone having problems with them not working 2 years out?  5 years out?  Uuugh, any thing to cheer me up?

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

Escape_Pod
on 4/29/14 8:45 am

I'm sorry, I can understand your frustration. 

I'm curious about your revision - was it modification to your sleeve, or did he revise to RNY?  We sleevers are definitely more prone to GERD due to the physiology of the sleeve, and I knew it might be an ongoing problem for me, though my surgeon was optimistic that a hernia repair would take care of it.  I'm still on a PPI, but I've only made a couple of efforts to get off of them.  Part of the issue is rebound-acid - it's really a challenging process to get off a PPI once you're on them because your stomach adjusts its acid production.  Fortunately, mine doesn't seem to be getting worse (knock on wood), though I know that can happen.  You might talk to your surgeon about a strategy to try to step down off a PPI - it's my understanding that it's not usually something you can quit cold turkey without a lot of discomfort, though I've yet to come across solid advice for trying to wean yourself off them.  But honestly, the potential long-term results of untreated GERD are much more worrying to me than taking a PPI every day, even if I do have to be more consistent about vitamin supplementation because of it.

I wish you well, hopefully as you're further out from surgery you'll find you're able to return to the eating patterns you had established.

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

veggiegal10
on 4/29/14 8:55 am

Yeah, it was a modification of the sleeve.  Part of it had dilated and I had developed the hernia, so he fixed that and said I now have a "proper sleeve".  Like what the hell did I have the last 5 years. 

I didn't know that use of PPIs beget dependence on them.  Unlikely I'll ever get off them then.  Hoping this time around it doesn't get worse though.  There are also purportedly long term effects of PPI use, which is a major reason I wanted to get off them......

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/14 3:15 pm - Canada

Just wondering about your comment about vitamin supplementation...does the PPI reduce absorbtion?

Escape_Pod
on 4/30/14 1:37 am

It does for vitamins and minerals that are best absorbed in an acidic environment (vitamin B12, vitamin C, calcium, iron and magnesium ).  On the other hand, untreated GERD can lead to esophageal cancer - lost my mom to that one a few years ago.  She'd resolved the GERD, but nobody thought to do an occasional upper GI scope down the road. 

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

acbbrown
on 4/29/14 8:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

I'm going to be on a PPI for life. I just started dexilant. It's amazing. 

Talk to your doc. Push for a new med to try. PM me if you want more info. My phone deleted my last two attempts at a response. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/14 3:19 pm - Canada

Vent away...it always makes me feel better.  I love a good pity party though I have a 24 hour rule lol

I think maybe you need to give it some time before you know if the surgery was successful.  Your stomach is still healing (again) and it is going through all the things you went through before to help it adjust.  It may take several months before you know if you can wean yourself off the PPI.

I had horrible acid reflux before surgery (waking up in the middle of the night with my throat burning bad!) and rarely have a problem now.  I still take a PPI because it keeps the burning in my stomach under control.  I also had my gallbladder out 3 weeks after surgery.  I don't know that I will need it forever but for now it makes me more comfortable.

Give it some time...we can always throw another party later if it doesn't work out ;)

veggiegal10
on 4/29/14 11:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know its ok to rant sometimes.  I am glad to hear that you rarely have a problem, that gives me hope.  I suppose 4 years is a long time to suffer, so I was hoping for an instantaneous fix.  I will try to be patient and maybe ask the doctor when we know whether it was successful or not.  I didn't have any reflux before the first surgery, which is what makes this even more difficult.  Fixing one problem to create another.  Feels a little like whack-a-mole. 

So, for now I wait, I guess.  And if I have to throw another party, you're invited. :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/14 1:39 am - Canada

Oh girl, your preaching to the choir!  I was a healthy(ish) fat person and then had the surgery.  I'm as weak as a 80 year old most days.  Been through the ringer.  But every once in awhile I get a great day of energy and good spirits that let me see a glimmer of hope.  I know it's coming.

Keep the hope, it really does matter!

Woot, I can go buy a new party dress!  Can we wear tiaras?

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/14 4:05 am, edited 4/30/14 4:05 am

"Fixing one problem to create another".

Yep. Spells out exactly how I feel too. Side effects after surgery are glossed over for the most part by most surgeons. You are not alone. Feel free to vent.  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views