Nervous

Skippy1
on 9/11/18 9:28 am - MI

I will be having my last meeting with my nutritionist this Friday. Insurance was 6 months of meetings. All tests and clearances are done. Currently I weigh about 275 and the heaviest was 290. I am 61 yrs old and need to have a hernia repaired hence the WLS. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. I am beginning to have second thoughts about changing everything. I really don't eat much anymore and never had a sweet tooth-due to the R/A which I have been fighting for 30 years I find exercise difficult other than walking. I am retired. I would hope to be able to lead a normal life other than the eating but I just don't see it happening. I enjoy sitting around drinking a diet vernors with the guys once a week or going out with my wife and doing vacations. It seems like I may not be able to enjoy my life as much as I do now. How does everyone cope?

MissCheri18
on 9/11/18 11:59 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I am 60-years old and had my VSG in June. I have had a lot of issues not caused by the surgery but found because of it which is a blessing because we are slowly and surely fixing things and stopping what cannot be fixed from getting worse. I suffer from pain for years now caused by the nerve damage from a brain surgery, my entire body but mainly my legs and about 2 years ago walking became almost impossible in-part from the pain and also because I had a tear in my diaphragm that made breathing near impossible with any even mild exercise, which they sewed up during my VSG surgery. All I can say is I am not sorry I had this VSG, the improvements totally outweigh any negatives. BTW as for eating out, I still do but I typically share with whom I'm with.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

Grim_Traveller
on 9/11/18 12:04 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I enjoy my life far, far more now than I did before WLS. I am much more active, and no longer gave to worry about how I'll feel. I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

With the exception of ice cream, there's nothing I can't enjoy a little of. Making compromises on food choices is a no brainer for me now.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/18 1:03 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

You can live a normal life. There's nothing not normal about my life. I eat things I enjoy, but the difference is I enjoy it differently. I do t want to pound back a box of cupcakes. I pay attention to what I eat and know how many calories I put in my body. I care about my health. With surgery I will love a normal, longer, better life.

Shannon S.
on 9/11/18 5:35 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I don't think you'll regret it. I'm 10 months out and can enjoy food and drinks. You just have to think differently, eat a lot less, and have a lot of left overs. I still have diet soda on occasion and I enjoy a sparkling water some evenings. You just won't be able to eat and drink at the same time.

It has been a true gift for me. My mobility has improved greatly. I feel like I'm in my 20's again. You'll do fine. This may be one of the best things you do for your health. Best of luck in your decision making process.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views