Can't tolerate fluids

Chanelcamp26
on 10/20/18 3:33 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

I had a really hard time with fluids for the first few weeks after my VSG as well. I mostly did sugar free popsicles. Water felt like a stone in my stomach. I read all kinds of suggestions like adding crystal light or experimenting with the temperature of the liquid. I did the best I could. I made sure to carry a bottle of water everywhere. I buy the little 8 oz bottles because the larger bottles felt daunting at first. It gave me a little boost of confidence when I would finish one.

At the third week, things got much easier. My stomach tolerated more. It is a process. Trust that it will get better and keep trying. As for protein, this one will be tough as well. I've tried a hundred types it seems. I can't do the shakes. They are nauseating to me. I get zero carb isopure drinks at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. They have 40g of protein in 20 oz of fluid. Different fruity flavors.

I like the orange and the pineapple banana. Premier protein makes clear drinks as well. Their tropical punch flavor is tasty.

Everyone has different preferences and tolerance.

I took Zofran in the beginning as it seemed I was constantly nauseous. However, as my stomach healed and I moved through the stages... things got better. It will for you as well. Hang in there.

White Dove
on 10/21/18 8:44 am - Warren, OH

You insides are swollen and your job now is to be constantly taking tiny sips of water. My first weeks I had one protein shake a day and sipped it all day until it was gone.

After a few weeks, the swelling went down and I could drink normally again. Getting dehydrated can get you back in the hospital so concentrate on sips of water for now.

This will be better very soon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CatLady3401
on 10/21/18 11:55 am
VSG on 09/26/18

How are you doing now? Are you peeing at least 4 times per day, even if it's small amounts?

Try warm fluids -- that was easier for me at first.

HW 382, SW 325, GW 165

SD 9/26/2018

pescetarian

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/22/18 9:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Try different temperatures of fluid-- cold, room-temp, or warm. You can also try things like warm tea, chicken broth, or Crystal Light.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TripleAxel
on 10/22/18 12:11 pm
VSG on 09/20/18

How are you doing? Did you speak with your drs office?

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

shanreneex
on 10/22/18 4:42 pm

I'm doing a little better, drinking more water but still can't really tolerate the shakes. I spoke with them earlier they basically said to try different shakes and keep taking the Zofran. I have a follow up on 10/30 and have to stay on liquids until then :(

TripleAxel
on 10/23/18 2:50 pm
VSG on 09/20/18

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

itsjustmisty
on 10/23/18 11:56 am
VSG on 10/10/18

I just had mine on the 10th and saw my surgeon for a follow up yesterday. I was concerned too because I only can drink about 24 oz and he said logistically 20-36 is pretty average for my stage. He said they say shoot for more because they want to keep you as hydrated as possible. They told me as long as I am urinating at least 3 times a day I should be good. Popsicles have been my best friend. I still cannot do shakes to save my life. I have tried several brands so far and I just can't. So I had to do broth and Popsicle. I do have to do an upper GI soon just to make sure everything is going okay because I am feeling full all the time but he said he thinks it will come back okay. He just wants to be sure it is. I was having some horrid reflux (I was taking OTC reflux meds as told) so he prescribed something stronger and I am still on pain meds to help my tummy and that's what's getting me by.

Most Active