The Media Has Me Pissed!!!!

BOBOKITTY
on 12/7/03 1:05 pm - MD
Hi ALL, This is my take on this whole darn 1/50 mortality rate from WLS thing. When you are Obese the statistics say blah blah blah % of Obese die. They say we are lazy that we have low self esteem and that we need to just pull back from the table. So, what do we do? we go on a diet and start to loose weight spend tons of money on the weight loss crap. Then what? We gain it back and then some, they say we did not try hard enough, we have no will power. Ok then we have a more permanent form of weight loss which is what? the surgery and now they say blah blah blah % died due to complications from the surgery. I said all of that to say this, we are in a no WIN situation with the Media and their @#$$%&$!!!! Statistics. I say to hell with them all, because we stand a greater RISK of MORTALITY by being Obese than we do haviing the surgery. Complications arise in every facet of everyday life. There are people who die from a routine exploratory surgery, do we hear about that? No. There are women who die giving birth, there are people who die after having a tooth pulled. But none of these things are broadcast. It is just another way to TRY and I stress TRY and keep the BIG KIDS DOWN!!! But here on OH we got news for them, we are NOT backing down, we say have fun with your statistics and CRAP because we are finally going to do something for US and we are going to stand up for what we believe in. That is why this site is so vital and it is so important to support one another because we have so many odds against us. This is not the worlds fight this is our FIGHT and together if we stand TALL we can win this thing. Good Luck to all of the PRE- OPS and just know that although this is not an easy task you have a lot of support here for you when you cross over. You can email me anytime and I will respond I will even call you if you need to talk. Just no that you are not alone we are here to help. Love ya!!! Adrienne
DrStickler
on 12/8/03 8:28 pm - Charleston, WV
Well said Adrienne. I am not sure where they obtained their statistics for that piece anyway because I am a bariatric surgeon and I am well aquainted with the statistics. From what I have seen from this surgery is that the 1 in 50 may be accurate for the first 100 surgeries that a program performs but after that the risk is truly less than the 1 in 200. The risk of being obese and the impairment of lifestyle, I feel, justifies the risk of the surgery.
BIG POPPA W.
on 12/8/03 10:04 pm
Thankyou Dr. Stickler for taking the time out to respond to my post. I appreciate that a lot. I can not wait to tell my support group that I had a Celebrity respond to my post. I am sure you know the statisics well. Again I thank you Adrienne
Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 2024 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4723 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6329 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5653 views