FREE excess skin removal

April Lopez
on 10/2/08 6:26 am - logansport, IN
I did find this info, even if we pay for removal on our own..we can donate our skin..
http://www.mtf.org/donor/living_skin.html

We Are All Butterflies, waiting to exit our cacoons.
                                       Rny Gastric Bypass 11/6/2007
                     Starting Weight 359.9- Surgeons Goal: 160
                                     Personal Goal: 130

NHskinnygirl
on 10/2/08 6:45 am - Nashua, NH
this is an urban myth. We don't want stretched out dead skin why would a doctor want to give this to sick, burned people?
The Shriners hospital will tell you that skin from weight loss patients is not healthy skin, it has no elasticity and would not be viable for graphs.
Sorry but if you need PS no one is going to do it for free.
Laurie in NH     Expect the Best !  You will receive the Best....
283/251/150    

April Lopez
on 10/2/08 6:58 am - logansport, IN
I am not looking for it for free...I paid cash for my weight loss surgery and it was $30,000, so I have no probblem to pay for my skin removal. I was more excited about possibly being able to help someone with my skin. I also thought it could be helpful info to others, but I did state that I was not sure if it was true or not. I know there are many who's insurance does not cover it and can not afford to pay out of pocket. I thought if true it may be beneficial to others.
I am like you though..I think our skin is yuck after WLS...But this website says they take skin donation from WLS patients. http://www.mtf.org/donor/living_skin.html

April
We Are All Butterflies, waiting to exit our cacoons.
                                       Rny Gastric Bypass 11/6/2007
                     Starting Weight 359.9- Surgeons Goal: 160
                                     Personal Goal: 130

NHskinnygirl
on 10/2/08 7:30 am - Nashua, NH
I didn't think you wanted it for free, and yes it would be nice if they could use our skin after removal.
I had my PS done at Mass General Hospital which is the teaching hospital for Harvard medical. I asked Dr. May the head of PS and also asked a hospital coordinator and both said that our skin is not re useable as it has no elasticity and would not graph well.  I would be very surprised if that site did take the skin removed from bariatric patients.
Yes it is a very nice idea and it would be wonderful if we could but I really don't think it would work.
let us know if you fine out differently. Also I am sorry if you thought I was being rude, that was not my intent.
Have a nice night...
Laurie in NH     Expect the Best !  You will receive the Best....
283/251/150    

14asStro
on 2/24/12 10:41 pm
Please see http://www.traumaburn.org/who/skinbank/faq.shtml  section 2. This should answer all your questions about donating skin/fat/organs.
SophieGrace
on 10/2/08 7:08 am - IL

I don't think so.

This one is along the lines of 'forward this email and Bill Gates will give you $150.'

My surgeon told me in 1999 that they did not want the skin he would be removing during my tummy tuck.  He said it's usually not good skin -- stretched, sometimes has fungal infections -- and that it was a nice idea, but no.

Another "don't we wish" fable.

SophieGrace 

ChristineB
on 10/2/08 7:36 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Urban myth. They do not use overstretched skin for skin grafts.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

xxkimberlyxx
on 10/2/08 9:42 am
I inquired about this and my answer was that they could get the skin from cadavers... dead peeps...without the anethesia and that that free tummy tucks just dont happen.  Its more cost effective to get skin from the dead then from live patients (anethisa and all)...this was my experience...doesnt mean its the truth .....

Valerie G.
on 10/2/08 10:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
This came up a couple of years ago and was a myth. 
Our overstretched skin is not good for donation.  It's just too damaged.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shrinking-girl
on 10/24/08 10:57 am - Richmond, IN
Everyone, I am a 19 yr old female who had bariatric surgery 15 months ago and have lost 160lbs so far. Saddly I have so much excess skin I still do not feel good about myself. I have been looking into having the skin removed and donating the skin to help others. I have found a website that tells about this. http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/07/26/finding_hope_in_donations_of_excess_skin/

This surgeon tells how live skin donations are becoming popular because the lack of cadaver skin that is available. You may want to look into this and see if you may be interested. I am working on saving the money to have the skin removed and hoping insurance pays a part of it. Most insurance won't pay unless there are infectons and rashes that are considered a health issue

Most Active