LOW CARB CHOCOLATE! Rave.

M M
on 2/18/09 12:24 am

Maine Cottage Foods Low Carb CHOCOLATE!

DSC_0761
I am a chocolate enuthsiast, we know this.  I eat chocolate nearly every single day.  But with my gastric bypassed anatomy, I am really not supposed to indulge in the sugar-sweetened type.  To avoid this, I eat the darkest possible chocolate I can, and sometimes it's bitter.  I deal.  I will do anything to keep my chocolate available, EXCEPT eating grocery-store variety 'sugar-free' candy.  I WON'T GO THERE.  I have gone there, that's why I say I WON'T.  Most sugar-free candies and chocolates are sweetened with sugar alcohols in such high quantities that it cause serious, um, distress.
DSC_0765

Enter low-carb chocolate made with NO MALTITOL.  I have tried some in the past - I ate my body's weight in another brand of low-carb chocolate once!  Hee-hee.  I have been on the hunt for more variety.  I found some.  Low carb, low glycemic CHOCOLATE. 

Click here to read the rest of the post.

DSC_0770
Maine Cottage Foods, purveyor of the greatest variety and the highest quality sugar free, low carb, low glycemic and gluten free chocolate, cupcakes and brownies anywhere.  (Okay.  I believe you, let's try it.)
DSC_0768
Everything here is freshly made in small batches using genuine, low carb ingredients, the highest quality sweeteners and natural oils. Our principle is "Premium ingredients enhance enjoyment, promote diet success, and support good health." Therefore, we use no sugar, no maltitol, no isomalt, no polyglycitol, and no trans fats. Maine Cottage Foods sweetens with erythritol, the only natural sweetener that is truly non-glycemic as well as non-caloric (max 0.2 kcal/g). Because all our treats are safely sugar-free and maltitol-free, they are truly low glycemic and offer diabetics, athletes, and the weight-conscious healthful, first-choice alternatives to sugared treats.

But, Beth, what is erythritol?

Erythritol is an all-natural, no-calorie alternative to sugar. It looks like sugar, feels like sugar, and bakes and tastes like sugar.

While its name may seem terribly scientific, erythritol is found in nature at low levels in grapes, melons and pears and can be found at higher levels in fermented products like wine.  Each day, it is estimated that we consume somewhere between 30 and 100 mg of naturally occurring erythritol in our regular diets.

Since the late 1980’s, erythritol has been used as an ingredient in foods and beverages in Japan, and was more recently approved for use in the U.S. and Canada. These approvals were based on extensive scientific studies reviewed by an expert panel of independent doctors and scientists.

Erythritol does not cause undesired gastrointestinal effects under its intended conditions of use. Based on clinical studies in which erythritol was administered with foods and beverages at daily doses up to 75-80 grams, there are no discernible issues. That means you can have multiple servings of per day and not feel an effect. Compared to the other sweeteners classified as sugar alcohols, erythritol has the highest digestive tolerance, which is 2 to 3 times better compared to xylitol, lactitol, maltitol and isomalt, and 3 to 4 times better compared to sorbitol and mannitol.

Please note that we use oligofructose, a probiotic fiber, as a sweetener since it also happens to naturally taste sweet. Therefore, one of our chocolate bars has an amount of fiber comparable to a bran muffin, so you can skip the All Bran cereal if you want. All our milk chocolate is high in calcium, with the milk crunch bars being the highest. All our desserts and trail mixes contain trace amounts of sucralose. We have found that this very minimum amount makes the sweet taste more pleasant. 

Prebiotic fiber is good for your gut.  Sure, chocolate has calories.  Low carb usually doesn't mean low calorie.  This is something to be savored.  But, do note the high fiber content in the chocolates, from Oligiofructose.  High fiber AND low carb is super.

More about Maine Cottage Foods sweeteners can be found here.

But, how does it taste?  It can't be as good as my REGULAR chocolate?

Actually, quite tasty and satisfying.  Creamy, not waxy.DSC_0784

Really.  This is not an ad.  It's yummy.  I tried the Mint Dark Chocolate Bark first, because, that's my preferred flavor.  It's a nice deep chocolate flavor, and a creamy consistency that melts slow in your mouth.  If you choose bark, you can add in your choice of nuts and fruit.  My bark has chopped almonds in it.  (My husband took a hunk off of this Mint Dark piece and deemed it, "Really good, I can eat this."  That's your man-review.) 

DSC_0768

The chocolate is available in countless varieties, milk or dark, with or without nuts, fruit, and in specialty sizes as well.  You can get "Teenies" which are individual foil wrapped pieces of chocolate, in varied flavors.  My bag of Teenies had a single piece of cinnamon flavored chocolate that I would totally like to see again.  The Teenies were especially good, having just a small piece at a time is great for portion control and throwing in my bag, instead of what I HAVE been carrying around.

DSC_0771

In addition to the chocolates, Maine Cottage Foods also has low-carb baked goods, like small and larger brownies!  These are made with ground almonds instead of flour, with no preservatives  Click here for the nutrition stats.

Yhst-1428893320313_2041_12658346 

Photo:  MCF

DSC_0774 

So, yes, I liked the chocolate.  I could definitely indulge in these low-carb treats in moderation.

• Product - Maine Cottage Foods Chocolates
  • Via - http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html
  • Price - Varied.
  • Pros - A million varieties, choose your own, creamy, tasty, low carb, fiber, no sugar!
  • Cons - Not cheap.  Although it's not waxy sugar-free grocery store crap either.
  • Rating - Pouchworthy, MM. 
  • Click here to read more reviews.

Eggface
on 2/18/09 12:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA
LOL we are both craving chocolate.

I just posted a thread without catching yours about a chocolate dessert.

~M

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

M M
on 2/18/09 12:41 am
M-

Remember we cycle together. 

marylaw
on 2/18/09 1:06 am - Winfield, KS
TMI, Beth.
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how BIG your God is!"

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader and Support Group Coach
marylaw
on 2/18/09 12:44 am - Winfield, KS
Just when I thought I'd made it through the temptations of Valentine's Day! ;)

M M
on 2/18/09 1:00 am
So sorry.  My apologies. 
marylaw
on 2/18/09 1:05 am - Winfield, KS
No problemo. The cost is out of my budget, so it's all good. Oh, no...Eggface, too! ;)

M M
on 2/18/09 1:06 am
She did, posted right after.  LOL.

CHOCOLATE!!?! 
tiffanydac
on 2/18/09 1:56 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I've been having a tormenting problem with chocolate all week........ ugh... and only hours ago I vowed to stay away from it.......

MM, I feel like you just gave me permission to give in....... mmmmmm.......

Maine Cottage you say.......

Stop by and talk to me.... 

http://talktotiff.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/09 2:54 am

Just an FYI. Trader Joe's has a very good sugar free chocolate as well. I don't have all the info on it since I am at work but it is sooooo good and $1.99 per bar!

Erika

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1474 views